Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual

Subject line might be unclear.

Here's a hypothetical scenario, but a very real one.

Someone buys a perpetual PT12 license with a year of upgrades and support.
Then the following year they extend the upgrade/support plan for an additional year. Then the 3rd year, they like the version they've got running and decide not to renew the update/support plan.

Do they keep the current version they are on, or does that original perpetual license they bought only apply to updates received in that first year, thus knocking the user back to the version they were at a year prior?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Do they keep the current version they are on,
this.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 AM

You stay at the version you had just before your plan expires. IE you retain all features that you received throughout the life of the plan.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
You stay at the version you had just before your plan expires. IE you retain all features that you received throughout the life of the plan.

Cool. I'm very glad to hear that. I did only a year sub this year (trying PT again after a few years away). If PT and I are getting on well, maybe I'll spring for the Perpetual next year and give myself a little more security should I decide not to upgrade at some point.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Cool. I'm very glad to hear that. I did only a year sub this year (trying PT again after a few years away). If PT and I are getting on well, maybe I'll spring for the Perpetual next year and give myself a little more security should I decide not to upgrade at some point.
You should have the perpetual license now (if you got the 1 year $99 upgrade). You will get updates for one year and if you don't renew it stays wherever you're at when the year is over. If I'm not mistaken :)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 AM

Default Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
You should have the perpetual license now (if you got the 1 year $99 upgrade). You will get updates for one year and if you don't renew it stays wherever you're at when the year is over. If I'm not mistaken :)

I'm on the $99 teacher/Student sub actually. I didn't do an upgrade. I became a teacher last year, so this is the first time I'm eligible for that.

Looking over everything again, perhaps I should have gone with the $199 upgrade from PT10 in order to secure a perpetual license. Then I assume I could have done the teacher/Student $99 extensions after that. (Not sure if that's allowed, but I made another posting asking about that).

I don't find the options confusing, but there are different ways to go when upgrading, especially when taking the teacher/student options into consideration, and it's not always clear the best route to go.

Last edited by SixChurchStreet; 01-02-2016 at 11:44 AM.