Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Pro Tools 2018.12 CPU Spikes

All,
It's been a long time since I have posted here, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried this. Like a lot of people, I am getting CPU spikes for no apparent reason. I tried everything, new CPU, new ram, etc - basically a new computer. Being a Pro Tools guy since 2000, I have always been Windows - it's what I know. So I have this whopper computer that I have built. A Ryzen 2700x, 64gb DDR4 3400 ram, M.2 and all SSDs. It is fast.... when it works. The CPU Spikes were almost a show stopper and for no apparent reason. I could have 1 audio track and I would get them. NO IDEA WHY??? Plugs were up to date and valid, everything was a clean, new install. So I got to thinking about What if there is a plug that is bad?" I do some beta testing for a few of the bigger companies out there, maybe that was it?

So I took to the Windows backend and started moving plugs to the unused folder. Well for some reason last night I noticed that the Windows (x86) folder where I went first had a bunch of plugs that were identical to the normal Windows folder where the plugs sit. I decided to move all the (x86) ones out. Reminder, these would be all 32 bit plugs, but I installed ONLY the 64 bit installers.... how are they even in there?

So I went and removed all the 64bit plugs and loaded my medium sized session - 1% CPU usage.... incredible. I started moving back just the 64 bit plugs by order of the Alphabet to test. Figured I could narrow it down. Well, after getting everything back in, My session CPU usage went up to about 34% with the plugs that I had loaded up. These were Wave CLAMixHub, a few Fab Filter things and some other usual suspects. The thing that I noticed was that during a heavy drum edit session, saves, plugin moved elastic audio, etc I was not getting the 100% CPU spikes that I would normally from the same session.

The big question. Could having remnant 32 bit plugs (again not sure how they got in there to begin with) be somehow causing CPU processing issues with the 64 bit ones that Pro Tools is looking at?

Curious and maybe I overlooked something in the "fine print" about this, but honestly it was the best session I have had in a few months where I was not bombarded with 9073, 9171, etc errors every 10 mins.

Wanted to put it out there. Too busy for all of this madness, but this was a good start and seemed to really help things.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"