Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 AM

Default Set up Hardware I/O without Pro-Tools

Long story short my HD Native TB died on me. I run Burl B80 setup, thru HDN TB into Logic Pro.

I don't use Pro-Tools. I am a certified logic engineer- I prefer Logic, I find it far more powerful.
Anyway, No Biggie,
---
We all remember the big CoreAudio update on 12.6.1
That allowed OS X systems to update to Sierra.
In this, it removed the Avid CoreAudio Manager.

Now my system is running Sierra (Avid e-mailed me 12.6.1 update since I don't have pro-tools) and my old HD Native's hardware was already set up to my burl far before I upgraded the drivers and system.

Now it seems that I can't set up the Hardware I/O on my new HD native because the Hardware setup is built into Pro-Tools (which I don't have and can't access without paying some ridiculous fee simply to setup my hardware)

Am I really going to have to downgrade back to Mavericks, Setup the new HD Native with 11.3.1, and then re-upgrade my entire system again?

Please tell me there is another way,
Also, if not-- **** Avid.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Set up Hardware I/O without Pro-Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Long story short my HD Native TB died on me. I run Burl B80 setup, thru HDN TB into Logic Pro.

I don't use Pro-Tools. I am a certified logic engineer- I prefer Logic, I find it far more powerful.
Anyway, No Biggie,
---
We all remember the big CoreAudio update on 12.6.1
That allowed OS X systems to update to Sierra.
In this, it removed the Avid CoreAudio Manager.

Now my system is running Sierra (Avid e-mailed me 12.6.1 update since I don't have pro-tools) and my old HD Native's hardware was already set up to my burl far before I upgraded the drivers and system.

Now it seems that I can't set up the Hardware I/O on my new HD native because the Hardware setup is built into Pro-Tools (which I don't have and can't access without paying some ridiculous fee simply to setup my hardware)

Am I really going to have to downgrade back to Mavericks, Setup the new HD Native with 11.3.1, and then re-upgrade my entire system again?

Please tell me there is another way,
Also, if not-- **** Avid.
Audio/MIDI setup App, it's all in there now.

And if not, then **** you.

sorry, couldn't resist. Have you ever heard the phrase "you'll get more bees with honey"?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:14 AM

I'm well aware of the audio/midi setup. You right that it is in there-- Only after the Avid Hardware I/O Setup was initialized the HD Native to the burl. DigiTest won't even recognize the burl

However, when I did some weird combination of old and new drivers, I was able to get the burl to recognize with the obsolete 11.3 drivers (even though they wouldn't work-- obviously on sierra).

It seems-- at least on the very initial setup-- and if you're ALREADY starting with 12.6.1 or higher, you are required to have Pro-Tools to make the initial hardware i/o setup link.

The HD thunderbolt is recognized, but just as the headphone port- The Serial ports don't know what theyre looking for
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 AM

Umm,

This person is having a different issue,
But it's similar

and the diagnostics are the same

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/avid...-hardware.html

" open with "aggregate i/o", it is not finding my HD hardware at all."
"digittest lists my HD hardware as having " 0 in/0 out".
Old 03-22-2017, 05:28 AM

Why don't you do the obvious and get the HDN serviced?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Why don't you do the obvious and get the HDN serviced?
That's the thing,
I bought a BRAND new HD native.

Mine was out of warranty and a repair from avid is almost $700 dollars.
A new one with a new warranty is 999

So new factory sealed unit
Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Do you have a Digilink I/O asset on your iLok?
No,
But I shouldn't need one, no?

Didn't before- and as far as I can tell, this only applies to people who wish to use Pro-Tools with Third-Party hardware.

Being that I use exclusively use logic, this wouldn't apply to me.

But where would I even find one?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
No,
But I shouldn't need one, no?

Didn't before- and as far as I can tell, this only applies to people who wish to use Pro-Tools with Third-Party hardware.

Being that I use exclusively use logic, this wouldn't apply to me.

But where would I even find one?
This was new with 12.6. It's possible that you still need it even though you're not using PT. Just a guess, looking for answers.

BTW, you know Burl reverse engineered Avid's Digilink protocol (technically illegal but Avid never takes action) and that it's their responsibility to get you up and running right? What do they say?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
This was new with 12.6. It's possible that you still need it even though you're not using PT. Just a guess, looking for answers.
I can't imagine I am unique in that I do not use Pro-Tools at all, but do use HDN hardware. I'm sure plenty of people have a similar setup as me.

However, if not-- perhaps this is an overlap in Avid's new policies that i've run into...

I plan on calling support once they open in a few hours..
Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:

BTW, you know Burl reverse engineered Avid's Digilink protocol (technically illegal but Avid never takes action) and that it's their responsibility to get you up and running right? What do they say?
Well as far as I can tell there are four solutions/issues

1: I call Avid and they square me away
2. I call Burl, though while they have great customer service, I somehow doubt they'll be able to help me here
3. I'm currently backing up my system in the event I have to downgrade to Mavericks, install 11.3.1 drivers- and then reinstall everything on my computer and "grandfather" myself in with my Avid CoreAudio Hardware Setup Manager settings I was able to from before, when I update again back up to 12.6.1

Also only other possibly is: When my HDN died-- Came in one day and my old HDN was just dead. No light, no power, nothing. Strangest thing--Perhaps, The same thing that wiped out my HDN also wiped out the digilink ports on the back of the Burl-- though this seems unlikely to me, and as far as I can tell it's running just fine, and have already tried both ports- So seems unlikely