Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Most Stable Windows Version for PLAY, Vienna etc?

I don't need a whole raft of plug-ins. But I do need EastWest Platinum Orchestra (and a few others from EW), Vienna Ensemble Pro with Special Edition, Auto-Tune 8.1, Ivory pianos, and Pitch n Time to work well. Everything else is negotiable.

Currently:

Windows 10 Pro
PT 12. 4
Scarlett 18i20
Mytek Stereo ADC for clocking

It's just too buggy for me to work with any kind of momentum. I keep trying to make it work, but it's never quite there. There are many and varied MIDI related issues; PLAY crashes if there are too many instruments or a couple instances; auto-tune is even a little dodgy. Scarlett seems to part of the problem at times. I've jumped through the hoops I know to jump through (nuked prefs, Avid system optimizations, Windows not using the Scarlett etc) and although it may work well for a couple days, it always deteriorates.

Is anybody working on Windows 10 with PLAY and Vienna successfully? Maybe going back to 11.3.2 is the best plan, as some have suggested?

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/

Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Most Stable Windows Version for PLAY, Vienna etc?

Same config, pretty much.

Windows 10 64bit
PT 12.7
Scarlett 18i20 (tested every xxxkHz/buffer sizes)

Tried to use PLAY from EastWest (ComposerCloud).
Latest version of ALL drivers and softwares (Windows, Focusrite, PT 12.7, PLAY 5.0.1 etc...). Everything fully updated.

PT hangs every 5 mn with a msg:
Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_FileLocWin32.cpp", line 548.

For me, the number of instruments is irrelevant, it just happens even more with more instruments...
I'm lost!!!

Any ideas welcome. (also sent to EastWest support... awaiting a solution)

Current best idea: I followed the instruction from Focusrite web saying to install an "older" USB driver for the Scarlett, to make PT12.7 more stable... maybe it's related??? dunno...
Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Most Stable Windows Version for PLAY, Vienna etc?

Theres alot of factors. usually its a good idea to reinstall the avid drivers, and also update any of your windows drivers. Now, i have seen other instances where the computers ram was unstable, failing, or just not fast enough. Some computers have a bottleneck and have problems with sound computation. one of the most stable versions of windows ive worked on has been windows 7 professional. If you have windows 10 id suggest the enterprise/educational version. and finding the most stable version of the drivers for you hardware regardless of the age.