Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Crossfades issue

I've been searching around but haven't found anything else mentioning a problem with the new crossfades. Whenever I do a crossfade in 10 it has a doubling effect, instead of a smooth blend. At first I thought this was just how the new fades work, but since no one else is pitching a fit, I'm thinking I've got a bug...
Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Crossfades issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMMusic View Post
I've been searching around but haven't found anything else mentioning a problem with the new crossfades. Whenever I do a crossfade in 10 it has a doubling effect, instead of a smooth blend. At first I thought this was just how the new fades work, but since no one else is pitching a fit, I'm thinking I've got a bug...

Hi TM,

What kind of material are you using the x-fades on ? Percussive or a lot of transients in there ? The doubling almost sounds as if there could be some miss-alligned audio under them ?

I have not seen the crossfades to do anything they should not so please, can you do the general troubleshooting procedures of clearing all preferences on your system a and if the issue persists, try it in a new session and on different kinds of material.

If after all that you still are convinced there's something wring with it then we may meed to find a way to get your session to us including some of the suspect audio files.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 PM

I've been dealing with a Pro Tools fades issue for several years. Not sure if it's the same thing that's happening to you.
The problem: When auditioning a fade in the fades dialog box the audio is sometimes incorrect. Certain hand drawn fades create a false positive...in other words. I hear audio on the "A" side that should not be there. (I dialed it out) However, once rendered, the fade plays correctly- this slows down my editing process. This doesn't happen on all fades but occurs mostly with steep drops or steep ramp ups.
I've communicated with Avid for several years about this issue with some improvement but the problem is still there. Of course I'm very frustrated about this but .......Can't get anyone to listen and help and the tech person who was helping me is no longer there.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Whenever I do a crossfade in 10 it has a doubling effect, instead of a smooth blend
I have noticed no change in cross fade behavior since PT 5.1. It all depends on the instrument, cross fade type, cross fade length, cross fade location and integration between the cross faded clips.

Some instruments call for a short equal gain type fade, some for a long equal power type fade, and other call for in between. On some material, it is almost impossible or impossible to get a perfectly smooth fade, so you have to experiment to get the best you can and hope that it will go unnoticed in the mix.

There are different cases of doubling - for instance, kick drums and pianos can often get "doubled" if the cross fade is sloppy, but the audible effect is different by nature. Which instrument are you working on?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Dumb question,

Is there a short cut just for cross fades not regular fade? Lets say I'm high passing a p pop in the audio sweet and I select the fresh edited region and want to cross fade it back to the other regions on either side. If I press CTRL F in PT it only fades the front and back of the selected region. In nuendo all i had to do was this the x on the keyboard.

Thanks!
Yeah I'm a PC guy.