Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM

Default Line In Guitar TOO LOUD

I am trying to line-in my marshall mg 100cfx
My keyboard works fine.
I have an 8 track interface. my keyboard was in the num. 1 input, my output was num 1, i assigned both accordingly, worked lovely.
unplugged keyboard, kept settings, plugged amp in. MASSIVE feedback.
turned everything down. no change.
Anyone know anything about lining in guitars?
thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Line In Guitar TOO LOUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxiccity View Post
I am trying to line-in my marshall mg 100cfx
My keyboard works fine.
I have an 8 track interface. my keyboard was in the num. 1 input, my output was num 1, i assigned both accordingly, worked lovely.
unplugged keyboard, kept settings, plugged amp in. MASSIVE feedback.
turned everything down. no change.
Anyone know anything about lining in guitars?
thanks
Whoa what are you doing? I hope you are not connecting the power amplifier output directly to a line-input? You cannot do that, and an easy way to blow up your converters or guitar amp. Lucky it i not a valve amp, driving a guitar valve amp without a proper speaker load on it is a good way to fry the output valves and/or transformer.

Or are you using the headphone out? Its likely hard to get good tones out of that.

Nowadays more folks are using amp simulators/processors like the Avid Eleven Rack, Line 6 Pod HD, Fractal Axe FX II, etc. or using plugins in DAWs like Avid Eleven, etc. (there are many).

You normally use a microphone to mic a guitar cab, or use a speaker eliminator to drive a line level output. There are lots of training course and videos on YouTube etc. that talk about how to record guitars. e.g. This one covers plugins and processors and touches on traditional recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pVWxX947n8. One on traditional cab micing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuROw-p0yLg. Good introductory stuff available from Allan Parson's http://www.artandscienceofsound.com.

Darryl
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Line In Guitar TOO LOUD

Are you using the jack that says "emulated line out and headphones?"