Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Default Unable to install new PT version, and issues with inputs, etc. in edit window

My system info: iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite, Version 10.10.2, Processor - 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Memory- 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Pro Tools v. 10.3.8, External LaCie Hard Drive, Interface - PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL,

I don’t know if these two issues are related but here they are: Please be patient with me. I’m approaching 60 and easily befuddled by techno glitches. Any help on either of these two issues would be appreciated.

First, I’ve downloaded the Pro Tools update, v. 10.3.10 but when I try to install it I get this message: Installation Errors. Pro Tools cannot be installed because the following error(s) were found on your system: - An incompatible version of the OS was found. Pro Tools 10.3.10 requires Mac OS X version 10.7 or higher.

As you can see from my list above I have Yosemite, Version 10.10.2. Can anyone help me figure out how to install Pro Tools v. 10.3.10 given this issue?

Secondly, and this issue seemed to suddenly appear from nowhere, whether I’m viewing the edit window of an older completed project or a new project, clicking on the I/O Input used to show a dropdown menu with many options. Now, when I click on Input, it looks like the image hasn’t loaded and shows only one input. I’ll try to attach a few before and after screen shots. As far as I know I haven’t changed anything since it was working properly.

Clicking on other functions in the edit window also show dysfunctional pop-down menus. See other screen shots.

Also, when I go up to Setup / I/O, the input and output screens are different than in the past but I don’t know how to change it there to the way it was. I’m assuming these things are connected. I’ll attach a before and after screen shot of those settings. I must have saved the I/O screenshots from when I had a previous issue.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Unable to install new PT version, and issues with inputs, etc. in edit window

Well I guess basic answer is Pro Tools 10 is not supported on Yosemite. There are installation issues and it's quite a manual procedure even to uninstall it on Yosemite. I believe the last 'supported' OS X version was 10.8.5 (mountain lion). You should be able to install the original OS (Snow Leopard?) and upgrade to Mountain Lion but you shouldn't try to go any further.

If you do get PT 10 installed on Yosemite I think one of the issues is blank menus.

Don't know what to suggest beyond that.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Unable to install new PT version, and issues with inputs, etc. in edit window

Is there any reason you need to use 10? Do you still have plugins that are RTAS only? That's the only technical reason not to use 11. I my experience, 11 is way smoother than 10.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the responses. I wondered if that's what I would need to do. I guess I was just hoping to avoid paying the extra money. If I'm going to upgrade then, is there a reason that I would not upgrade to PT 12?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by museman View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wondered if that's what I would need to do. I guess I was just hoping to avoid paying the extra money. If I'm going to upgrade then, is there a reason that I would not upgrade to PT 12?
When did you buy 10?

If you upgrade to 12, your license will allow you to use 10/11/12.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Can I still upgrade to PT 11? I've been on the Avid site for a while now and everything seems to take be to the PT 12 upgrade which is quite expensive. Is the site not real user friendly or is it me? Simple steps for the PT 11 upgrade would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:47 AM

Sorry, didn't see your last post. I bought PT in Oct 2010.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Oops. I bought it in October 2012.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 AM

I'm going ahead with the PT 12 for $199. It says it's a Pro Tools Upgrade with Annual Upgrade Plan. I'm assuming that's a one time fee?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM

You may run into performance issues. In my opinion a 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Memory- 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Mac is under powered for PT 11/12. In some cases an i5 is the lowest level of processor "Qualified" to run PT 11/12.

Here's a link to the qualified list for PT11.

PT12 $199 = yearly subscription, not a one time fee.

You may want to read some thread here before you make that leap;
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Drew asked a good question. Why the need to upgrade? Do you have the download/disks to get your current machine back to Mountain Lion?
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)