Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2002, 10:09 AM

Default (sorry for OOT): Why is Disney releasing DVD in 4:3 format for widescreen movies????

It's a SHAME!!
DVD was created to bring cinema at home, to acheive an almost perfect fidelty to the cinema experience and... now Disney is releasing many DVD CROPPED!!!
i.e. Atlantis wich was at least a 2.35:1 and The Sleeping beauty (one of the greatest WIDESCREEN cartoon ever made) wich is preannounced as a 4.3 DVD format.

SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
SHAME
Old 04-09-2002, 10:30 AM

Default Re: (sorry for OOT): Why is Disney releasing DVD in 4:3 format for widescreen movies????

As stupid as it sounds alot of consumers feel cheated when they don't get a "full" screen movie. I've heard a salesman promoting the zoom button as a way to get back that picture at the top and bottom that the DVD cut off. People who have spent too much time watching VHS need to be educated about wide screen VS 4:3. Plus it is all very confusing since there are a large number of diferent aspect ratios out there so the "frame" on the screen changes all the time fom full screen for old films that were shot at 4:3 to super wide screen formats that are hard to see if you don't have a large TV. And the one sort of legit reason to put out a 4:3 version is for the folks who only have a small TV.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (sorry for OOT): Why is Disney releasing DVD in 4:3 format for widescreen movies????

I can see the majority of Disney fans not being audio- videophiles and not wanting to *lose* any picture. (My wife and kids) That's why I like the disks that come with the mutltiple ratios.

Here's another piece of trivia for you. I haven't done extensive research on this, but at least with the Toy Story movies - to create the letterbox versions on the DVDs, they simply cropped the top and bottom of the 4:3 version. You DO lose picture when watching the wide screen version.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Apart those creazy cropping games,
i saw those films in the cinema and they were widescreen!

(i have seen a DVD where you can select 4.3 or widescreen (just almost double the space used (use the other side)

The first reason i purchased the DVD player was exacly becouse of the widescreen....