Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Unhappy Pro Tools 8.0 problems

I've not found a solution to these three problems, which started over the past few weeks. If anyone could help me here, I'd be so grateful!

(1) "Save Copy As" is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r when I save a file to another internal hard drive. Initially, this took only seconds, and now it takes just short of two full minutes (I timed it). I even tried it with a file that had no audio files in it, and it still took that long. Doesn't seem to be anything I can do to the file (i.e. make it shorter, remove plug-in's, etc.) to make it go any faster. Seems like it gets started okay, but half-way through it stalls (the "save as" pop-up still shows that it's working), and after a loooong wait, it finishes. Aurgh!

(2) Something more recent-- just the past two weeks I've had a problem in a session with a very loud "POP" sound happening just as I hit "play" in the session. Doesn't seems to matter where in the audio track I place the cursor, what my volumes are overall, or what tracks are muted. Happens with lots of tracks playing, and I've muted them one by one to see if there is one offending track (can't seem to find one that is causing the problem though). However, (and this is really strange), if I mute ALL the files then unmute the files, it will stop. But it's only temporary. After a few plays, the loud pop starts back up again. It's really hurting my ears! And it's a lot of trouble to keep muting them all and finding the ones to unmute again when I want to play back.

(3) This problem was here from the start. It's not really a problem-- but it's annoying, and I wonder if there is something I'm doing wrong because it keeps happening. After I've saved my session, closed the file, and backed it up, when I try to open another new session (or the same one), I get a pop-up that asks me if I want to save the session. But I already saved it! Why is it asking me that again? And it does the same thing if I try to quit ProTools too. Catches me off guard, as I sometimes wonder if I'm missing something here...

Gosh, I'll be so grateful if anyone can help me with these problems... Thank you in advance!!

Ragani

Mac Pro 8-Core
2.8 GHz
800 MHz
Digi003 Rack Factory
Pro Tools 8.0
OSX 10.5.5
Old 04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0 problems

Have you tried trashing preference and database files yet? If not, I'd start there.

If you have, I'd try testing from a new admin account and see if anything changes.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Hi Digi--

Thanks so much for your reply! No, I hadn't tried that yet-- would I just delete the entire preferences folder or specific files therein? Looks like there are a lot of files in my preferences folder, so I wanted to ask first before I deleted everything therein...

And how do I delete database files? Where are they located?

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it-- my ears are suffering from that "pop" sound especially!

Ragani
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM

You can delete the entire preferences folder or open it and delete everything inside. The database folders get created in the root directory of any attached drive so you should find those folders as soon as you access any drive(even USB pen drives will get a folder).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Pro Tools 8.0 loud "pop" with play

Nothing seems to be working to solve this loud "POP" problem. I'd really be grateful for anyone's help here. I'm really stuck.

Problem: Pro Tools 8 is making a very loud "pop" sound when I try to play a session. After launching Pro Tools, a session will play 2-3 times, but then I start getting a very loud "pop" whenever I hit play. I can get it to stop if I mute all the tracks then unmute them, but this only lasts for another 2-3 plays before it starts up again. After several tests, it appears to now be only happening with one track (as far as I can now tell, hopefully!), regardless of how I've saved it or on which hard drive I play it back. Puzzling.

What I've tried so far: trashed all digidesign databases, volumes, and all Pro Tools preferences (DAE Prefs, DigiSetup.OSX, etc.). Verified the system drive to be working okay. I also tried using another drive to see if it would stop. I have removed all the plug-in's from the session, converted all midi into audio, but no still success.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem? Can anyone help me here?

Thanks,
Ragani