Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Default HELP PLEASE - Loud crack/pop when starting

This just started to happen this past weekend. I start out in a session with no issues, but after a few minutes, every time I start to play the track I get a really loud crack/pop. Really loud. I don't like it. My monitors don't like it. And my cats hate it. The meters in my Master track peak out bad so I'm sure it's within the application, not in my speakers. It seems worse if the track is playing and I select a Marker point to restart while playing, or if I just click in the bars-beats-minutes-seconds area to replay while the track is running. If I select somewhere to start where there is no audio I still get a crack/pop, but it is much quieter. The crack/pop volume seems to be louder when the audio where I start is louder. And it gets worse once it starts happening. The only thing new to my system is the Abbey Road Mastering and Limiter (1.1.8) sets, but I tried making them inactive and that doesn't seem to help. I tried a different session and I could not get the pop/crack to start happening, but I'm not convinced it is unique to this session. If I close the session or restart ProTools, the crack/pop goes away. Temporarily. I'm still running 7.4.2 with OS 10.5.4. Any ideas please? Please... like really please!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Default Re: HELP PLEASE - Loud crack/pop when starting

1) Read the General Troubleshooting thread sections about trashing prefs, volume and database files.

2) Make sure you plug-ins are up to date, especially the one you just installed.

3) Increase your buffer size and un-check "Ignore RTAS errors" if checked

4) If nothing else helps, try removing the Abbey Road plug-in completely, then re-launching Pro Tools.

5) If all else fails, try creating a new blank/empty session and use "Import Session Data" to import your tracks from the other session and see if it helps.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:33 AM

I had that kind of issue before. I narrowed it down to the Amplitube LE plugin causing the cracks & pops. I won't be missing that plugin at all.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalavtech View Post
I had that kind of issue before. I narrowed it down to the Amplitube LE plugin causing the cracks & pops. I won't be missing that plugin at all.
Thanks but I don't have that plug-in.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 AM

Well I'm 99% sure the issue is with the Abbey Road 12413 limiter plug-in. I had just recently added that plug-in to my system (during their bundle upgrade deal) and I had never had this crack/pop/explosion issue before that. I tried Slim Shady's suggestions 1-3 (trashing prefs, volume and database files, verified plug-in versions, and increased buffer size). This week, working with the same session that was giving me the issue, I deleted the aux track with the 12413 on it, then added some additional audio tracks. Then I went through an intense 3 hour editing session. No crack/pop/explosion what so ever. Then, as soon as I created an aux track and put the Abbey Road 12413 limiter on the track the crack/pop/explosion sound returned when hitting a marker point or the timeline to restart playback while in play. I ended up just using the Massey Limiter instead, and am having no issues with that. Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Abbey Road 12413 Limiter? It's a great sounding plug-in, and hopefully when I upgrade to Protools 8 in a few months I won't have this issue, but I'd love to be able to use the 12413 now. Does this crack/pop/explosion issue sound familiar to anyone working with the 12413? Thanks all!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Abbey Road Plug-in issue - Loud crack/pop when starting play

Anybody else having issue with this Abbey Road plug-in?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 AM

I've been having the same issue in Pro Tools 8-- did you ever get it solved? I don't use Amplitude LE, and I've also trashed the preferences and digidesign databases. When I launch Pro Tools and open a session, it takes 2-3 plays and then there is a very loud "pop" every time I try to play. It will only stop if I mute all channels and then unmute them again, but this only lasts again for 2-3 plays before it starts that very loud "pop" again.

I've searched the digi forum and website but can't find anything that seems to be able to help me here. Anyone have any ideas?

Ragani
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM

I've had almost the same problem just reset your processor by switching it to 1 processor then back to 2 processors again or whatever is your core processor full amount in your playback engine and set your h/w buffer size to 2048 samples and click on the rtas engine ignore errors during playback with this reset i am getting no distortion clicks and pops and no error messages like before anyway for now so no need to always resart. I know this is not the best settings but works way better then constant click distortions with PT!!! the problem for me was within the sessions settings and it would affect the whole pro tools system in or out::: I finally found the problem when i noticed that my second processor would start clicking when i would get around 40 to 60% cpu rtas usage that's when the heavy clicks would happen. Good luck:::