Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Control 24 List, Please Post Here

I've started a link in the "Post/ Surround Forum" on issues that I will bring up and present personally in the near future with Digidesign. Since I'm an owner of 2 Control 24's, make a list of issues/ upgrades that you would like me to discuss and I'll bring it to Digi's attention when I meet with them. I ask (if possible, PLEASE) that these issues upgrades are not Music oriented but more general user/ Post user since that's where my expertise is.
Thank You,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Control 24 List, Please Post Here

Hi Marti.

Nice job on The Grudge. I enjoyed the film.

As to your request, I believe Georgia posted earlier that a stand alone dual panner would be a nice option, and I agree. Beyond that, I have only minr input, but it is probably more software than hardware based.

1) "Write Automation To" - Currently, when employing the Write to Start/All/End a dialogue box pops up in ProTools asking you to confirm this selection. Nix it. Get rid of it. It's unnecessay.

2) Is there anyway we could get a fader upgrade? Probably not, but the current faders can get a bit "chattery". Or.... Could we turn off the "Faders Move During Playback" to have a "Quiet Pass" for program approval. One could still grab the fader, pas it through the null point to start automation, make the changes, and release in Touch mode to make changes. The appropriate graphics on the on-screen mixer are present to make this viable.

3) Currently, it seems I have to hit "Save" twice to perform a disk save of the session. But perhaps it's just me. It's something that I live with.

4) I would LOVE it if they could mirror plug in metering on the C24 meters. Seems like the graphics on the surface reflect an original idea for the controller that included this (The "Channel" button in the "Meter Select" area of the board.).

5) As stated above, the standalone dual surround panner.

I pretty much have established a strong workflow with the board regardless of these issues. Hopefully, you are discussing a new/similar product with Digi, and not just the C-24. If so, I have the following:

1) Any trickle down from the Icon that Digi is comfortable passing on...

Thanks for letting everyone chime in!

Cheers.

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Services
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 11-03-2004, 08:24 AM

Brad,
Thanks for the kind words! You brought up some very good ideas. I would like to suggest a present day way of getting "a quiet Pass for approval". Why don't you hit the "Master Fader" during playback so only the Master faders will be playing? I don't have many if any playing back so the fader moving noise is not an issue. I agree that a panner would be great. It would have been nice to use the "Edit Pack" from the "Pro Control”. That way Digi gets us to buy their products and we (The Control 24 Users) can have an Automated Panner option. However since I went to AES and received a private demo of "The ICON/ Control D" with it's new automated Panner that is non motorized and the issues regarding Harrison and their Motorized Joystick patent, I don't think that Digi will go that route. Maybe we can get a version of the new Panner which has a touch screen that is touch sensitive and two automated joysticks so we can play Sound Pong!

Anymore suggestions?
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Brad,
Thanks for the kind words! You brought up some very good ideas. I would like to suggest a present day way of getting "a quiet Pass for approval". Why don't you hit the "Master Fader" during playback so only the Master faders will be playing? I don't have many if any playing back so the fader moving noise is not an issue. I agree that a panner would be great. It would have been nice to use the "Edit Pack" from the "Pro Control”. That way Digi gets us to buy their products and we (The Control 24 Users) can have an Automated Panner option. However since I went to AES and received a private demo of "The ICON/ Control D" with it's new automated Panner that is non motorized and the issues regarding Harrison and their Motorized Joystick patent, I don't think that Digi will go that route. Maybe we can get a version of the new Panner which has a touch screen that is touch sensitive and two automated joysticks so we can play Sound Pong!

Anymore suggestions?
Great idea!... I seldom use master faders at all, instead using auxes to bus to various outputs, stems, etc... So the "Master Fader" is a great work around.

And I'm used to the non motorized joysticks from my Neve Logic days. Anything thoughtful with a pair of sticks for a decent price would be appreciated.... well, almost anything.

As for sound pong, as long as my sessions can be interactive with other facilities via an "online collaboration tool", count me in. Shall we volley for the serve?

Brad
Washington, DC 20036
Old 11-04-2004, 07:58 AM

I use the master fader trick quite often myself, BTW, utlilty has the same affect.

One improvement that i'd like to see is two leds to indicate stereo panning. Obviously we'll need to page to switch between controlling L or R, but I'd sure love to be able to see both simultaneously.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:45 PM

One thing I'd like implemented is for the channel names not to be replaced in the scribble strip with a send name when the send is activated. When doing monitor mixes using the sends I have to push and hold the "Show Channel Names" to see its name. It would be great to have that hand freed up. Maybe a footswitch could be assigned instead of the button.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:20 PM

Or perhaps it could flash back and forth between the track name and the send name.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:36 PM

So how was the meeting? What can you tell us or are you sworn to secrecy?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:59 PM

THE feature of SIMULTANEOUS view,
of the volume value ... AND name of the track .
.. no nudge or button.
EVEN 2 small LCD's PER FADER if needed,
one on the top "name" one on the bottom " Value" .
Just Like the : Pro tools Mix screen.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:18 PM

Other thoughts ?