Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Default C|24 for broadcast mix?

My church is having a Venue D-Show installed for front of house mixing. The channels from the Venue will be fed via MADI to a ProTools HD rig in the record room. The record room is outfitted with a C|24 and this room will be used to do the live video broadcast and CD record mix.

In the past, we've always used a "real" sound board to do our broadcast and record mix with a splitter sending all the channels from the stage to FOH and record. I'm unclear how ProTools and the C|24 can be used for live remixing.

Can anyone point me to tutorials or pros & cons of this sort of set up?

- Jasen.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Re: C|24 for broadcast mix?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Are you recording multi-track? I would simply send(mult) the control room feed to send the same stereo mix(the mix you listen to) to broadcast. Or, put a post-fader send on all tracks to feed a separate pair of outputs to send to the broadcast feed(with all send faders to -0 so it mirrors the main mix, but can be adjusted if needed). Keep in mind that, if you are broadcasting video as well as audio, your buffer setting may add latency to the audio, causing it to be late in relation to the video(I don't know anything about video so I can't say if it can be delayed to match).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Re: C|24 for broadcast mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Are you recording multi-track?
I don't know, but I would assume so. The install is going on over the next couple of weeks. Why else would we get Pro Tools HD? :)

The FOH will have 96 channels which I'm assuming we'll feed to the Pro Tools HD - I expect not all 96 all the time, only the active ones, which is probably 20-30ish for a normal service (drums, band, vocal team, choir, a couple of pastors, track).
Quote:
I would simply send(mult) the control room feed to send the same stereo mix(the mix you listen to) to broadcast. Or, put a post-fader send on all tracks to feed a separate pair of outputs to send to the broadcast feed(with all send faders to -0 so it mirrors the main mix, but can be adjusted if needed).
Thanks. Both of those sound interesting. I'm a Pro Tools newbie, and I don't how our installer will be setting things up, but I want to have a little knowledge going into it.

Quote:
Keep in mind that, if you are broadcasting video as well as audio, your buffer setting may add latency to the audio, causing it to be late in relation to the video(I don't know anything about video so I can't say if it can be delayed to match).
I've read some posts on that. Definitely a concern. We broadcast video & audio throughout the church during service and (currently) record straight to DVD. So the sync issue is there.

Thanks for the info.

- Jasen.