Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Avid

Default Re: 2 midis together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
I'm unable to do this too with the same version on Win XP.
Can you post a session and/or screenshots of your settings?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's Pro Tools or the VI interface. And since it did the exact same thing with the Studio One demo I'm coming to the conclusion it is the VI (Garritan Aria Player). I need to do a bit more digging into the Aria player manual to see if there is a particular way I need to set it up, and if I fail there, I'll take a screenshot and post it.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM

add myself to this issue...I'm not able to set things up to play one INST using 1 controller, and another/diff INST track on a second controller either. It always plays just whatever track I select for rec for BOTH kybd controllers.

ctrlr 1 = Axiom 61
ctrlr 2 = Keystation Pro 88

midi interface: midisport 4x4

All of which are working, ...just not able to setup each controller to use different INST/VSTi

How are you guys accomplishing this again?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
add myself to this issue...I'm not able to set things up to play one INST using 1 controller, and another/diff INST track on a second controller either. It always plays just whatever track I select for rec for BOTH kybd controllers.

ctrlr 1 = Axiom 61
ctrlr 2 = Keystation Pro 88

midi interface: midisport 4x4

All of which are working, ...just not able to setup each controller to use different INST/VSTi

How are you guys accomplishing this again?
What do you have set for the MIDI INPUT of each track? They should be set to the MIDI input/device that you want to control that track. You may also need to set the Preferences>MIDI tab option for Default MIDI Thru Instrument to 'None'.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Well, Julia B you are on XP correct? Others on W-7. Akai has a warning about XP and dual USB midi...something about inability to rename them.

I have a Delta 66 and Motu MicroExpress 6 port USB -- the Delta has no MIDI but a MIDI driver (which I turn off) but it turns back on then turns off Motu MIDI after every restart, device mgr has no control over this.

Bummer I have wasted weeks with Motu tech support... installed everyone of their drivers, and M-Audio: finally gave up on XP for this reason. Months now and to be honest wish I had a Quad Core Macintosh instead.

Now I am suffering with W-7 Pro and Microsoft's server slowdown (or shutdown) last couple of weeks MS has been having technical problems. Some updates stall... not just me, but Pro Building shops in town here.

Interested in what Tech Support has to say about dual USB MIDI on XP Pro x86? Why the warning at AKAI's website?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
Well, Julia B you are on XP correct? Others on W-7. Akai has a warning about XP and dual USB midi...something about inability to rename them.

I have a Delta 66 and Motu MicroExpress 6 port USB -- the Delta has no MIDI but a MIDI driver (which I turn off) but it turns back on then turns off Motu MIDI after every restart, device mgr has no control over this.

Bummer I have wasted weeks with Motu tech support... installed everyone of their drivers, and M-Audio: finally gave up on XP for this reason. Months now and to be honest wish I had a Quad Core Macintosh instead.

Now I am suffering with W-7 Pro and Microsoft's server slowdown (or shutdown) last couple of weeks MS has been having technical problems. Some updates stall... not just me, but Pro Building shops in town here.

Interested in what Tech Support has to say about dual USB MIDI on XP Pro x86? Why the warning at AKAI's website?
Can you give me a link to what you're seeing on the AKAI site?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Got it working here (Win XP). Have Maudio midisport 4x4 here though, and installed it's latest driver ver 6.1.2 (winXP sp3, be sure to check box to show all drivers).

2 controllers (axiom 61 and keystation pro 88) able to control 2 separate vst's (play and rec).
- set midi thru to none in PTMP 8
- add and set up INSTS
- then add MIDI tracks to control those INSTS.
- for MIDI tracks, assign output (INSTS and INSTS channels), and assign ctrlr input (inc channel) for each.

working great now.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
Got it working here (Win XP). Have Maudio midisport 4x4 here though, and installed it's latest driver ver 6.1.2 (winXP sp3, be sure to check box to show all drivers).

2 controllers (axiom 61 and keystation pro 88) able to control 2 separate vst's (play and rec).
- set midi thru to none in PTMP 8
- add and set up INSTS
- then add MIDI tracks to control those INSTS.
- for MIDI tracks, assign output (INSTS and INSTS channels), and assign ctrlr input (inc channel) for each.

working great now.
You should be able to do the same thing without the MIDI tracks - just set the MIDI input on the Instrument track to the same one you had on the respective MIDI track. You might need to make sure that the Instrument section of the track is showing in the View menu.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You should be able to do the same thing without the MIDI tracks - just set the MIDI input on the Instrument track to the same one you had on the respective MIDI track. You might need to make sure that the Instrument section of the track is showing in the View menu.
I tried this but it would not offer the ability to use 2 separate ctrlr w 2 diff INSTS. But also there's the benefit of a bit easier editing for the midi tracks (imo).
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM

Naturally my link has dissapeared and I only google my own innane comments. Akaipro now has a login. I did read it there three months ago... even to Motu Tech support CS. It has to do with inability to rename USB midi devices in XP.

No joy for me with M-Audio Delta drivers (and Motu USB midi working together - disabled USB power mgt) after a month finally got it working then a bad registry crash (turned out M-Audio disabled spdif sync of two cards, had one driver vs too high (removed second card and went back to restore and still the above symptoms). Then went to earlier drivers, still no joy. After turning off Delta midi (XP requires a restart -- then it turns back on at restart turning off Motu Midi) these are found in game, sound controllers) but PCI driver is not. You have to expand it to see the MIDI driver within device mgr. Same with Motu Audio (no audio on my MicroExpress either). Midi enable is only viewed when you expand device mgr as Julia here mentioned.

I did read this, just cannot find it now. XP Pro x86 sp3. I did work for a bit in Sp2. But the Motu driver requires SP3 (the installer is one third off the page in Sp2). Pro Tools 6.4 requires Sp2... oh what fun it is to DAW?

(I'm taking up Ukelele)

Of course dual USB midi on macs has been working for ever (not)! But you could chain either Opcode or Motu back in the old days not mixing them of course. Little good this does. Hard Drive crash New Years Day, my Firefox history opened by itself a week earlier (phish prep) I deleted all History, naturally the bookmark I can't seem to find. It was a direct link from another forum directly to Akai.

OMS fix did allow Opcode MIDI and Pro Tools midi (PCI) but that was a 6 months wait to get Doug Wyatt to fix that. Yes I'm old... PTs 5.0...even SoundTools believe it or not?

Is there anything is services (management) you can do to keep the Delta 66 midi off? Why is there a one-for-all driver anyway? It has no MIDI? I am glad there is a W-7 Delta driver but now they can't spdif sync. Oh well... still at the install point on W-7 updates (more errors). There is a MS tool called System Update Readyness tool that is supposed to fix these 'hangs' mine hung on update #8 for three hours...