Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Default I dont understand REAL TIME FAES could somebody explain

I know this sounds dumb but I thought i was doing real time fades with HD9.
I just play the song with a Control 24 set to touch and automate any small fades as needed. I must be missing the concept Iv been doing this for a while now works great. Could somebody explain I must not grasp the concept.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Re: I dont understand REAL TIME FAES could somebody explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
I know this sounds dumb but I thought i was doing real time fades with HD9.
I just play the song with a Control 24 set to touch and automate any small fades as needed. I must be missing the concept Iv been doing this for a while now works great. Could somebody explain I must not grasp the concept.
No, you don't grasp it. Have you tried to research it?

By doing this perhaps?

Google is your friend

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Not a dumb question if you're new to Pro Tools. The fades that are "real-time" in Pro Tools 10 are the fades that you make while editing. For example, cross-fading between regions, fading in or out at the head or tail of a region to smooth the sound. Until Pro Tools 10, these were achieved by generating thousands of additional files in the "Fade Files" folder that Pro Tools would read from during playback. This is an essential part of editing.

What you're talking about is the volume automation, which has always been real-time and achieves a totally different goal: mixing.

Instead of Google, read the first few chapters of the Pro Tools reference guide. It's a great document.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 PM

there is no difference in sound, real time fades just take less system resources
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 PM

So let me get this straight. All those crossfades between regions or now clips iv been doing and the fade ins outs out regions or clips this is what real time fades are all about. I knew about the fade files but iv never had a reason to look at them. So are you saying these fades are some how renderd to disc instead of having fade files. kind of like RealTimeAudioSweet where the track is affected in its intierety for good VS just a plugin where it can be turned on or off or what ever we need.
I think that is what your saying but if thats how it works how come I am able to still change these fades later on. Would they not be permanent and so unchangable. Because everything people have said here is what I originally thought until I noticed I could change them.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 AM

No, the fades are no longer rendered to disk. They are calculated in real time, which makes PT faster to work with. The fade files folder is gone.

AudioSuite plugins, however, renders files to disk.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM

@phat
It seems to me that you are making "fades" with automation !?
The common way is to use the fade tool , it will make you work 1000 times faster.
However fades done with the fade tool pre pt10 were rendered to disc but still of course still fully editable. You can fade an audiofile million times without affecting the original audio file even if it looks you are doing harm to the file...Now the fades are calculated in real time making pro tools slightly "snappier"/ faster but there is no difference HOW you do the fade edits with the fade tool.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM

In Pro Tools 10, I wonder if you are now using 2 voices in one mono track during the crossfade of two audio clips? This is how many editing systems with real rime fades used to work in the past at least.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks guys I guess I using the real time fades all along. My system never seamed to bog down so honestly I never noticed the difference but I dont do alot of fades just regions, clips, start ,end
If anybody can show me a more indepth way to use them I would geatly appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
In Pro Tools 10, I wonder if you are now using 2 voices in one mono track during the crossfade of two audio clips? This is how many editing systems with real rime fades used to work in the past at least.
Absolutely not. You are thinking about Hardware samplers doing velocity crossfading...?
Anyway 1 mono track 1 voice.