Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Re: stereo interleaved or multiple mono to send for pre-master?

Nice. And don't use ANY master compression or EQ(so the mastering engineer doesn't have to attempt to undo it)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Are you planning to have your stuff on CD audio it would be best to use 44.1 or 88.2 in the pro tools session to avoid a sample rate conversion from 48 or 96.
If your master already is 44.1 or 48 there is NO point to re-save it in a higher sample rate before sending it to the mastering house.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 AM

When I receive files for mastering projects, I ask for stereo files, 24-bit and whatever sample rate you recorded at. I also ask for absolutely NO compression or limiting on the master bus.

Remember that mixing is about balancing the elements within a song, mastering is about balancing the perceived sonic characteristics of an album as a whole (so that all songs sound like they go together), overall clarity, and overall volume. Compression and limiting on the master bus limits what we can do with your files in the mastering stage.

I would always ask your mastering engineer what they prefer as we all have different requirements. It's still an art. There's a creative way of going about the process. just ask. =)
MacPro 5,1: 12-core 2.93 GHz 48GB RAM OS X 10.12.2 | Pro Tools HDNative 12.7.1 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Diamond | Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock
Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer View Post
wow! thanks for the feedback Ryan!...not sure what you mean by (not the peak digital level, but how much bus compression/peak limiting you put on your file) ,do mean how much compression is on individual track files? or on the parallel comps feeding the master track? ...usually i have nothing on the master track, and the highest peak of my song is the snare at -6dbfs). relative to the peak, the rest of the song or body, is hovering around -8dbfs.
It's really about how much limiting is on the master stereo bus, not the individual tracks (which can have a lot or a little, depending on the instrument). A lot of people use a bit of stereo bus limiting/compression to "glue" together a mix. Personally, I don't because I think it makes the final CD (after it's been made "loud enough" in mastering) that much less punchy. Having said that, bus limiting is fine if it's not too much, and if it's part of what you think makes the mix work aesthetically. The trouble is when people start thinking they have to make their mix as "loud" as a contemporary CD, and totally hammer it with peak limiting, and then expect that a mastering engineer is going to be able to take a waveform that looks like a sausage and have it sound good. If you are conservative with your levels, and don't overdo stereo bus limiting (which sounds like it is the case) then you should be fine.

You can't go wrong with multi mono as a standard, and staying at your native sampling rate/bit depth. I also agree that 88.2 is a good idea if you are going to end up with CD. I always use 96K, just because I also put out hi-res audio on Blu-ray (in addition to CD) with the stuff I'm working on these days. Since I go out to analog, and then back into digital for mastering, the digital sampling rate conversion from 96K to 44.1K is not an issue. if, on the other hand, you, or your mastering engineer is going to get to a 44.1 file via sample rate conversion, then 88.2 is far superior, as the math required does not degrade the sound as much as a 96K to 44.1 conversion. Hope this helps -Ryan
Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 AM

it helps a lot! thanks again for all the feedback. I'm actually reading bob katz articles online now regarding sample rates. page 29 "follow that sample" talks all about it. oppss guess i should have recorded the album at 44.1

http://www.ingelec.uns.edu.ar/pds280...tzArticles.pdf

but then again...on page 82..."One way to maintain quality is to follow this important
rule: Source recordings and masters should have higher resolution than the eventual release medium.

page 76 is interesting as well

• Please use fixed-point 24-bit format (also known as "Integer Format"). Do not use floating point
files, as there are many incompatible floating point formats and we just can't read them all! (e.g., do
not use 32-bit floating point for the file you send for mastering
Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 AM

Interesting debate, however is the difference between dual-mono and interleaved stereo not just a setting in the file header?

In other words, there's no conversion required to go from one to the other since the file header just gets re-written. So surely there shouldn't be a difference in sound quality?

Discuss (30 marks)