Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-13-2018, 03:04 AM

Default Re: I can't use any PSP plugins in PT12 - Win 10

PSP are just ignoring me now as well so I can't see a fix coming anytime soon.
But yeah, bad form from PSP.

I don't think it's related to overclocking, I have been in the past but the system isn't at the moment and it still does it.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Still no software update from PSP? Its absolutely 100% on their end. I appreciated the post describing all the trouble shooting, but as another poster later said, its not only cumbersome but the information sounds relevant and as though it leads to a solution, but it does not.

It amounts to a work-around and its not very clear how exactly it even works?

Why would disabling a track with another plugin, then restarting with it disabled, have any effect on whether the PSP plugin will work or fail? Let me clarify because I'm not saying the previous poster was "wrong", just that the 'work around' is unclear:

I think, in fact, it is not the conflicting plug that needs alteration, but PSP....just because the problem happens to occur more frequently with certain plugin combinations and not at all with others, that is in no way causation. Its a case of a plugin A plugin thats SEEMING to cause a conflict/error that SEEMS to cause the PSP error/ptcrash, and that would - i would think - make any reliable 'work around' impossible. It sounds like there may be SOME connection to CPU/Computer stability, but not that the computer is unstable. Could be something happening where a high CPU load action on a large session triggers it (even instantiating certain plugins or doing certain processing tasks quickly in succession can cause CPU spikes, but none that crash Pro Tools or ANY OTHER Plugin (hence the lack of a connection with overclocking).

Just to be clear, I could have misinterpreted the post. It SEEMED like the post was suggesting the following:

When you open a session and the PSP plugins are actually working, disable ALL your other plugins

Then start re-enabling them in groups of similar manufacturers, and see which group causes the PSP plugins to crash.

Disable all plugin groups again, save the session with them disabled and then restart PT (probably computer too just to be sure)

Lastly, reopen PT and the session and (group by group) re-enable plugin groups that did not affect PSP plugins, leaving the plugin manufacturer group that SEEMED to cause the problem for last. THEN hope when you enable it, PSP plugins work. [I was unclear on when the PSP plugins should be re-enabled - First? After all the stable groups are active? Or after re-enabling the trouble group.]

Makes me think it has to do with stability. It seems there is SOME connection with something that makes PSP plugins maybe CPU spike or something?! But that wouldn't explain why they stay 'broken' when closing and reopening the session or PT.

Here's a suggested work-around that I'm testing right now:

1. When a PSP plugin crashes when you try to instantiate it, or when you open a session and it wont enable PSP plugins, COPY the plugin settings or SAVE A PRESET if you want to keep your settings.

2. Disable the whole track, duplicate it, and remove the PSP plugin

3. Do this for all instantiations of PSP plugs on all tracks that have them.

4. Delete the original track(s) that had PSP plugs. Take notes if you had a lot of em (like which track they go on, what slot, and what settings)

5. Save and close the session

6. Trash Prefs and Settings (using PT TRASHER, that way you can restore a previously working version of the prefs/settings) otherwise you need to go back to like a fresh install which SUCKS.

7. Run a different session or two (with no PSP plugs, restarting the computer and PT between.

8. Maybe create a new session and only insert a single PSP plugin and cross your fingers!!!

Now, obviously this is not a real work-around. But I wonder if - using trasher - one couldn't backup their prefs/settings when everything was working (specifically the plugin database) and the next time the problem arises, trash and restore backups of pt prefs/settings - all of them EXCEPT the plugin database - leave that one as factory so it scans upon relaunch), start protools, let it scan, see if that works?

I don't know. I just wanna start seing more suggestions on this thread because ultimately some work around (other than using bluecats patchwork - because I do that for now too and its extremely unerganomic) could still be discovered, because i don't expect any future updates to address this problem, and i have MixPack II so i dont even expect there will be any software updates AT ALL.

Sorry for the bad grammar and disorganized writing - I'm a musician, not an author! At least for now we have the solidarity of knowing we're not alone! BWAHAHAHAAHA

Your compatriot in co-misery,

-Jay
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 AM

Hey!

I've had to stop using PSP plugins in ProTools and had to find replacements. I can only have one or two PSP plugins in any session and have it run stable, any more than that and **** hits the fan. It has nothing to do with different systems or overclocking or trashing preferences either. I've replicated it on all my systems which are now two Win7 machines and two Win10.

To rephrase my findings in an earlier post...

When you solve the stability issue within one session. All other sessions that had the same stability issue with PSP are magically fixed... BUT only under this very launch of ProTools. So if you restart your system you will have the same issues again.

What I was describing was the process of troubleshooting this on your system if you just HAD to use PSP for anything.

The process is to....

* Open a session with plugins disabled (SHIFT/OPEN).
* Make all channels INACTIVE and save session.
* Close and Relaunch ProTools and open this session.
* Activate only the channels having PSP plugins.
* Then activate batches of other plugins. After every activation, open a PSP plugin and try and change parameters. If you've activated a conflicting plugin you will get an access violation error.
* After you've found the plugin conflicting on your system. You repeat this entire process but you never ACTIVATE the conflicting plugins until the very last step.

Doing this will get you a stable system at least temporarily.

For me specifically, since I know it's Slate VMR giving me the problem together with PSP... is that I save a session with the channels containing Slate VMR INACTIVE. So whenever I open a new session I need to ACTIVATE these channels and after the job is done I need to INACTIVATE these channels again before saving so that the session opens stable again next time.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 AM

I got some response from facebook messenger with PSP. They were asking if I used Soundtoys stuff, which I do, all of it, as others had reported conflicts.
It's interesting that you mention Slate stuff, which I also have as back in the 32 bit days I had big problems with a Slate/Soundtoys conflict, something to do with the way they both cache their GUIs.
So if Slate and Soundtoys are causing issues it might suggest it's something to do with their GUI memory caching, which would make sense as the crashes for me are when I try and interact with the GUIs.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 AM

Cool!

For me, I don't use any Soundtoys though.