How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Pro tools 11HD On Windows 7 Keyboard Issue

Hi,

I make many research but don't find any anwer that correspond to my problem...

I have an issue with my keyboard on PT session. In fact some sessions don't recognise my ALT and Windows key so i can't use shortcut with these keys...

In older session Alt & Windows key works, but when i load an avid plugin (for exemple : EQ1) they stop working and it's impossible to make them work again.

I use a Qwerty keyboard and my keyboard windows option is set to english (US) langage. I check to see if the langage change in the pro tools program or in my windows setting but it don't see it (still in english).

I tried to reinstall Pro tools but have the same problem...

PS : the focus is on

When the bug happened it's like the Alt key just select the file option and the window key open my taskbar on windows. I don't understand why...

Any idea please ?

Thank you
Old 01-16-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 11HD On Windows 7 Keyboard Issue

I know a couple of people also having this issue, both on Windows, one W7 and the other W10, PT HD Native 12.4. No one at their facility can figure it out.

Try deleting Preferences and Databases, although given that you've re and re'ed PT, that probably isn't the issue.

I've been on PT since 2001, now on W10 and PT 2019.12 and have never seen this issue. What appears to be happening is Pro Tools "loses" the Alt and Start keys back to Windows, even when Pro Tools is the foreground program. It can happen, as for you, with opening a plugin or in my friends' case, by opening the Import dialogue. Sometimes closing and reopening PT is a temporary fix, sometimes not.

I find it highly unusual since Pro Tools normally wants to completely take over and hates to share.

If you have a support plan, please submit the problem to Avid. If you don't have a support plan, hopefully a moderator will pass this up the line or someone from Avid will read this thread or the other one I've seen with this issue. Interesting that this is occurring to more than one person and around the same time.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Hi,

Thank you for these informations. And yeah this describe and seems to be the problem : / (Pro Tools "loses" the Alt and Start keys back to Windows, even when Pro Tools is the foreground program)

Unfortunatly i don't have support plan. How many screen people you know are using ?

In my case i use 3 Screens. But even i reduce to two screen make the same problem.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 PM

The people I know with the issue use 2 screens each.
SonoBus
Old 03-26-2020, 03:57 AM

I have the same issue. Windows 10, Pro Tools 2018.7.0, using two screens. Quitting and re-opening has been temporarily solving it so far. Would be great to see a more permanent fix though.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:30 AM

The people who I know who had this issue went home on a Friday night and when they booted up Monday morning the issue was gone. No idea why or how.
SonoBus
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 AM

I may have discovered what was causing the issue in my case. Within the Windows settings there is 'Advanced keyboard settings'. From this settings page, a settings dialogue can be opened called 'Input language hot keys'. Two of these 'hot keys' were set to Pro Tools key-commands. For now, disabling the hot keys seems to have released the modifier keys back to Pro Tools.