Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Instrument Track assigned wrong midi output when reopening sessions

Have had it happen once at least in some version of 2019.x, but it used to happen a lot more. It's definitely not completely gone, just a bit rarer these days if you're current. It used to happen a lot on 12. I skipped 11 and came from 10 to 12, and there it would happen nearly every session.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Instrument Track assigned wrong midi output when reopening sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevvahhh View Post
Hey all - searched and couldn't find much on this. In a nutshell, sessions with multiple instrument tracks will reopen with midi outputs assigned unreliably. Normally all will open as it was saved, but often enough some instrument tracks will have their midi outputs assigned to none (instead of to the inst plugin on the track it is on and was assigned to before closing session) or assigned to a different instrument track's plugin (resulting in the midi from both inst tracks triggering the instrument on one track).

This has been happening since at least PT10, I'm at 2019.5 but don't see any indication of a fix scanning the release notes for .6.10.12 etc. Maddening for obvious reasons as i'm working on multiple sessions like this a day and trying to jump back in to address client notes without having to make sure everything is as I left it.

Occasionally seems to happen when I duplicate an instrument track more than once and then change the track order.. but not always.

Anyone with insight into this? Appreciate any input! Thanks
Persistent bug for years now.. They are aware of it.. nothing we can do from our end.. It's such a basic fundamental thing and for it to be broken is pretty bad from Avid's end.
I mean we all want to be able to load our project and not hunt for missing sounds every time LOL. That's the most basic thing anyone would want from their DAW.

I am not quite sure why they are persistent in not taking this as a serious bug, but instead just continue to give us broken releases in this regard.

This is the sort of thing that means I try not to compose in PT right now but in Cubase instead, and then render the midi stems to audio and set up the project as pure audio in PT where I do the final mix, insert automation, mastering, etc. As soon as it's fixed I'll be 100% PT for all my composing.
Note, this was broken when I first used pro tools, in December 2015.. Therefore I am of the mindset they simply are not skilled enough coders TO fix it, or they just pretend it's on a list to be fixed but in reality they don't care and never will fix it. (Reminds me a lot of emagic/apple with certain logic bugs from 20 years ago still there today).

If they can't fix a basic routing bug in 4.3 years (I just realised that's how long it's been, man, time flies! - and maybe it was even there before December 2015?), it IS pretty arrogant and rude of them, and also puts them in an extremely amateurish light.

If they fix this and the alt H bug I would be a lot happier to work in PT and never launch another DAW again.
The thing is, even after 4 years, it STILL gets me every time when I reload a project, and I say.. "oh, where's that sound gone? I am *sure* the project sounded different to this", and then I remember and go hunting to reconnect everything LOL. Every darn time.

PS they promised me a fix for this was imminent 3 years back, so after the crisis is over and everything back to normal, i intend to use my remaining 3 years of support plan to really push them hard on this one.