Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Lush Backup Vocals

I hear allot of R&B vocal mixes that seem to have this 'lush, airy, full' sound to them. I can get close to that by recording multiple tracks of the same vocal part, panning, eq'ing and offsetting each track slightly however, it's not quite there yet.

Are there any decent plug-ins that could help me achieve this?

thanks,
mush
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Lush Backup Vocals

I use an aural exciter. Adds that lush breathy sound.
Yosemite OS
Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 AM

yeah I've heard some good things about the aural exciter. Do you know if they offer a RTAS plugin version??
Old 09-08-2005, 09:16 AM

the BBE Aural Exciter plug-in is VST/DirectX only---there is the hardware rack versions of course---i've tried sony's Transient Modulator & Inflator demos and they both seemed to "lift" tracks up to that pro-level--
Old 09-08-2005, 10:11 AM

mushmouth,
First, the obvious question: are the BG vocal performances " lush, airy, full as they currently are ? Voicing ?
If so, I'd start by EQ'ing them while monitoring the full mix.
Compression, smart panning, and and a fair amount of ambiance/early reflection type of FXs, and a bit of big plate will definitely help in achieving what you're after. Don't be afraid to EQ the FX returns as well...
hope this helps,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-10-2005, 04:45 PM

I'd back up even more and ask what mic and pre you are using. Remember, you can't polish a t*rd.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-10-2005, 10:00 PM

I usually double each harmony part and try singing it a little differently (different voicing also). Be careful of over compressing if you want that airy sound. Stack, Stack, Stack those vocals. I usually use a nice waves plate verb adding a little more on the tail end. Lastly, play with the EQ.

To be honest, I never use an exciter and the tracks I've recorded have all had a nice lush big sond on the vocals. Then again, I probably just got lucky!

Anyway, hope my 2 cents helps out a bit. Good luck to you!

BC
Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 PM

try a couple of limiters in your chain and don't be afraid to crank 'em.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I hear allot of R&B vocal mixes that seem to have this 'lush, airy, full' sound to them. I can get close to that by recording multiple tracks of the same vocal part, panning, eq'ing and offsetting each track slightly however, it's not quite there yet.

Are there any decent plug-ins that could help me achieve this?

thanks,
mush
Mults and parallel processing will get you that sound. It took me about 40 mixes myself to get it to where I was happy with it. You can really hear it on the new Mariah Carey.

Here is a tip that I got from Rail:

AIR & BREATHE IN VOX

Duplicate the Vocal track and on the duplicated (multed) vocal filter out the bottom end (350Hz and lower) and boost some 4 to 6kHz and with a high pass EQ boost 18kHz (a lot) - after the EQ put a compressor at 20:1 or greater. Mix in this vocal to add the air.

The new URS SSL style EQ I'm testing does this very well.

Rail

--------------------
Recording Engineer

Whisper tracks are also common. Here are some more tips for you.

I also use an 'emulated' version of the old Dual Eventide H910 trick to make the Lead singer a bit bigger than life. I think Charles Dye demonstrates how he uses it here.

More info on the Dual H910 tip. I use the Waves Doubler for the H910 trick. Email me and I can send you my setup for it.

I have also recently experimented with Antares AVOX THROAT plugin for an added whisper track. Use the 'add breathiness' feature and print it 100% wet as a separate audio track. Then use Rails technique above. I should also mention that I add a de-esser to my mult because I'm only concerned with the breath and not the esses etc.

Another tip from Producher:

If you really want those pretty high's, try this.

Breath out alot while singing the parts.

Then bounce all the Bk Vox to a stereo track.

Now roll off everthing below 1kHz.

Boost alot at 12-16kHz. Oxford EQ works best.

Then compress the hell out of it.

It should sound like constant SSSsss

Now blend that back in with the original.

Being that we're using pro Tools you're gonna have to shift stuff so their is no phasing.

And for more techniques on layers and that high end breath, I just ask the guys who started it all WAY before modern R&B did. Mutt Lange and Mike Shipley were the true masters of the vocal layers and getting that highend breath sitting just right. Just listen to a Shania or Def Leppard record.

Here is how they did it. Answered by the very man himself.

A cool interview and more tips for layered vocals.

Here is a quote from an engineer who worked with Mike Shipley:

--------------------
I worked with Mike on a couple of projects and we did similar things. Scoop out the mids, compress the stew out of it, add a bunch of 10K and 16K. Also.... harmonizer. Eventide was the choice with Mike when I was working with him. He also fancied the Manley mic pre's and C12's. He brought in a whole rack of them.

-Tom
------------------

And another tip:

--------------------
The other thing I've heard about Mutt (from guys at the Nashville studio where he and Shania have recorded recently) is that he does a LOT of tracks -- like 10 to 12 overdubs of himself and Shania around one mic. I've tried it, and it works, but you have to be VERY tight.

Glenn
--------------------

And some more quotes from old DUC posts:

--------------------
Funny no one has mentioned the Dolby "A".

Works like a champ. Or a Mutt. or whatever...
---------------------
That's what I was wondering too. This is only a "rumor" but I heard that he would encode the BV's with Dolby but not encode the playback, thus giving them extra high end sizzle as it were. Try it yourself kids. It's just a rumor......
-------------------------
That's not neccessarily a "rumor". It's a well known trick and has been done by many people for many years.
-----------------------------

An older thread with helpful info.

The 'Old School' Motown Records method. Doesnt seem so 'old school' to me. Jeez, just when we thought our generation 'invented' it all.

Hope all that helps bro. Some old school and new school methods for ya. Have fun.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-10-2005, 11:42 PM

Those are some great tips there. Thanks for taking the time to post them Shan.

--joe