Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Default MTRX Reference (Ref) Button in DADman Software

I've been looking through the DADman user guide, but can't seem to find specifics on the "Ref" button in any of the monitor channels.

The button sets the volume back to 0 dB and locks the fader. So, it seems that it is a reference lock function. However, has anyone figured out if there is a way to set that reference level to anything other than 0 dB?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Re: MTRX Reference (Ref) Button in DADman Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_trm View Post
I've been looking through the DADman user guide, but can't seem to find specifics on the "Ref" button in any of the monitor channels.

The button sets the volume back to 0 dB and locks the fader. So, it seems that it is a reference lock function. However, has anyone figured out if there is a way to set that reference level to anything other than 0 dB?
You can't.
Digital Audio Denmark don't seem to understand why that would be requested (I've asked.) It's rather silly you can set Talkback levels and Dims but you can't do anything to set a reference level.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 AM

That's a shame. It would be so easy to do, coding wise.

Sort of falls into the category of adding SPL calibration. I've just transitioned from a Yamaha MMP1 due to a specific need that the unit didn't provide. However, that is one slick feature they implemented.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You can't.
Digital Audio Denmark don't seem to understand why that would be requested (I've asked.) It's rather silly you can set Talkback levels and Dims but you can't do anything to set a reference level.
Bizarre isn't it?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Bizarre isn't it?

Not only that, but also dangerous. If someone calibrates their monitors or speakers with a lower volume setting in DADman, and some kid comes along going “Hey, I wonder what that Ref button does...”, it could spell disaster.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:08 PM

You can trim the outputs of the monitor outs in Dadman to calibrate for that "0" REF level in the monitor settings part of Dadman. If you want to calibrate your monitors to say 83dB, you can use the trim controls in monitor Settings-CR-Outputs-Main Mon L/R-Trim, for example, to trim the output level so that 83dB at the mix position equals the Ref level of "0." This is kinda like being able to trim the outputs on say an Avid Omni by output/speaker. Maybe that is useful, or some variation thereof.
http://www.mckaygarner.com