Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Default In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

I keep reading on the line that Pro Tools is ‘miles behind’ competitor daws. But when I look back at the (now discontinued) ideascale list there’s not that many fundamental and highly voted for issues in which PT is really lacking against competitor daws. I mean big features like 64-bit support, Freeze track, bounce iin place etc were back in the days.

Folders in the clip list I consider one that is big workflow wise (I started that on ideascale long time ago) and there are plenty of nice small features that some other daws have that I’d like to see in Pro Tools (I’d love to see ARA2 support for Melodyne and some improvements in Elastic Audio algorithms to name a few).

But really, in what big workflow area is Pro Tools ‘miles behind’ competitor daws? What big fundamental functionality, innovation or ‘can’t live without’ function is Pro Tools lacking that is standard in all other daws?

I have used Pro Tools since the early days and have been a PT trainer for over 20 years. I know it really well. But I don’t use any other daw on a daily basis and therefore am not as fluent in any of them. So I’m really curious as to what it is that makes PT so ‘outdated’?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

The 32 input limit without AVID hardware!

No other DAW either paid or free has this limit.

I'd say that qualifies for "MILES" behind...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM

I personally cant stand that clip bin and its lack of visual mods to be able to customize it for me. Its needs a total redeshn with bins , colors , layout options, all kinds of stuff. I visually and workflow hate it
Old 01-15-2019, 06:54 PM

The most common complaint I see is that the midi "sucks" compared to logic.

I think a lot of the people saying this have never used Pro Tools and are parroting things that their audio school professors said, who, in turn, likely worked as studio assistants in the 90s and early 00s using Pro Tools 7, back when the midi really did suck.

I actually PREFER the midi implementation in Pro Tools to logic. I think if people were to actually give it an open minded chance, they'd be very surprised.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM

no plugin delay compensation on sidechains....

this creates more work as you work. v stupid.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Actually the MIDI does suck compared to Logic (and most certainly Cubase). Avid has made some improvements last year but still a ways to go.

ARA support (or built in pitch) would be nice. As would Bézier curves in automation. Folders tracks. VST support (or AU - lots of great plugins still don’t support AAX and it doesn’t seem to be changing).
Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Defenitely 32 track limit for live recording......Like JPsexton said

Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 AM

1. Stability. Pro Tools feels like you're constantly walking on egg shells compared to working in other DAWs. I think I've actually developed a mild case of PTSD over the past decade because of it. There's always that little nagging feeling of unease when tracking a band at low buffer sizes...

2. Updates, bug fixes, OS compatibility. Ideascale was a joke. Other DAW companies seem to actually LISTEN to their customer base. Digi/Avid have not and do not; in fact it appears to me that they intentionally withhold functionality. It does not take over a decade to incorporate automatic delay compensation. It does not take over a decade to incorporate track folders (still waiting). I started a thread 8 years ago about how they screwed up Elastic Audio from PT 7.4 -> 8.0 and was told by the engineer responsible and Jeffro that the issue would be taken care of and nothing has come of it. 8 years.

3. MIDI. If you've actually worked with MIDI extensively in other DAWs, you know where the shortcomings are. Hell, sometimes I open up a project and Instrument tracks inexplicably "go grey" and I have to make a new Instrument track, copy plugins and all MIDI data just to get it to play again (this has been a known bug for over a decade...see point 2.)

I could go on and on, but I'll digress for now.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM

I wish PT had an "arranger" track such that you could grab and move clips in blocks easily by grabbing the arrange-track marker ala Logic Pro X.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Do one session with Logic -- have a pencil and paper handy.

In all honesty, when I use Logic it practically predicts my next move. When asking the question, "can it do this" it's nearly always answered with, "yes, and I can do it in several different ways. And have you considered this?"