How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 AM

Default Ideascale for making Marker Numbers clearer

Hey all,

I've just posted a thought on Ideascale... Probably not going to set the world alight, but easy to implement nevertheless...

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

I use markers a great deal, either in a pop setting to be able to quickly jump to the beginning of the track, or to the 2nd Chorus or whatever.... I also use it when writing to picture to similarly mark out sections.

When you create a marker it auto creates a marker number, and then it's possible to jump to that marker using the period>"marker number">period on the numeric keyboard shortcut.

All well and good, but currently the workflow involves naming the marker point using the preassigned marker number (for instance you might have to call it "5 Chorus 1" for marker 5)

This seems incredibly clunky to me, and when you have markers close together (for instance on a film score when you're zoomed out) then that text become progressively harder to read...

Why not have the marker number shown in text within the little yellow shield which shows where the marker is in the marker lane..? Then there's no problem seeing which marker number is which.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Ideascale for making Marker Numbers clearer

Why not just have the Marker Dialogue Window open in a corner of the screen and then just click on the name?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post

Why not have the marker number shown in text within the little yellow shield which shows where the marker is in the marker lane..? Then there's no problem seeing which marker number is which.

Can't argue with that - it would help visually, and marginally speed up naming the markers, without having to think about it.

My workaround is subtly different to yours.

Where you have been using :

5 Chorus 1

for marker 5, I instead go with

[5] Chorus 1

or

[5] Chorus A

which visually withstands being zoomed right out, and still being able to read the correct marker number.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 PM

Ideascale is what Avid puts up to make its customers think that they are listening to them. It's a waste of time. An opiate for the masses. (Don't believe me... just look at what they've ever addressed from Ideascale)

Hernandez, et al already have their developer cycle planned out and it's based on what gives them bonuses (increased subscriptions, the "avid everywhere"/cloud collaboration plan, etc)
Old 02-07-2016, 01:28 AM

I had a suggestion posted on my Ideascale, which was the ability to sequentially renumber a selection of markers, which I think is a great idea.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Ideascale is what Avid puts up to make its customers think that they are listening to them. It's a waste of time. An opiate for the masses. (Don't believe me... just look at what they've ever addressed from Ideascale)

Hernandez, et al already have their developer cycle planned out and it's based on what gives them bonuses (increased subscriptions, the "avid everywhere"/cloud collaboration plan, etc)
This is should be a sticky.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
I had a suggestion posted on my Ideascale, which was the ability to sequentially renumber a selection of markers, which I think is a great idea.
I'd go with this one too, I usually end up doing it manually. I also agree with the above poster that there's no point labelling "Chorus 1" when "C1" is just as clear in the marker lane but more concise.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 PM

Good luck with this. The Marker function has been overlooked for over a decade and yet I would venture to say that a bunch of us need and use it everyday. Just because it isn't broken doesn't mean it couldn't be a lot better with a rehab.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television