Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Default A dream would come true if...

there would be something like NI-service center for all protools plugs

its so easy to check if you're upt o date with all your stuff
Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Default Re: A dream would come true if...

+1
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000

Many of us here have been harping on Avid/Digi for years about this one. All they would need to do is build the framework so that developers would update the version of their plugin, and provide the download link, even if it did nothing more than that, but within PT to open a window of all your plugs, and instantly see if the version the manufacturer is reporting is the same as what you have....

Shouldn't be very hard.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Yup, this should be their next move!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter99 View Post
there would be something like NI-service center for all protools plugs

its so easy to check if you're upt o date with all your stuff
Would be simple if ALL Pro Tools plugins were made by the same company and in the same place, like NI.

Unless AviDigi become the download agent for all their third party plugins it won't happen like NI service centre

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000

Many of us here have been harping on Avid/Digi for years about this one. All they would need to do is build the framework so that developers would update the version of their plugin, and provide the download link, even if it did nothing more than that, but within PT to open a window of all your plugs, and instantly see if the version the manufacturer is reporting is the same as what you have....

Shouldn't be very hard.
Crizdee pretty much nailed it.

This is something we've been trying to implement for a long, long time, but there are serious impediments - the first being a standardized way for it to automagically update when plug-ins are updated. Currently there's no way to do that reliably - manufacturers have so many different ways of providing links, most of which require a login. I won't even get into problems when links break - imagine having to test the links to download plug-ins for all the current RTAS plug-ins that are available.

The biggest problem is knowing when a plug-in is updated. Keeping track of the update messages from manufacturers, not to mention the version number of Pro Tools or the plug-in that it's for is mind-bendingly difficult.

There's simply no API that does this and trying to cobble something together ad hoc has failed time and again. It's definitely not for lack of trying on our part, that's for sure.

With THAT said, however, it's still something we're working on and which I'm personally involved. Currently we're looking at some voluntary work on the part of manufacturers and techs to keep things updated (and by voluntary, I mean 'additional' help, since this is far too much for a single person, especially when trying to coordinate with our testing departments and beta testers regarding actual compatibility of plug-ins).

Hopefully we'll find a way to make this happen that doesn't cause more frustration with all the caveats than the typical manual process would.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
manufacturers have so many different ways of providing links,

maybe AVID needs to set the standard of the acceptable compatibility

take them to lunch and give them the standard...

they would either get with the program or someone else would get their business.

are you dealing with divas or what?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Avid

Years ago I introduced an idea to offer new quality and support levels and distinctions for 3rd-party plug-ins. As in if a 3rd-party plug-in exercised our published strict guidelines, requirements, and passed the test cases, Avid could offer a "Golden Seal of Approval" routine. Those earning a Golden Seal approval could therefore be secured in a easier, sharper method of auto-updating, download links, or best yet "everything is always up-to-date with latest OS and PT release..." Those that didn't, er uh, "play ball and get on base" would be considered as "assumed support / use at own risk"

It was met with a warm "whose gonna do all the work?" response. Which is a valid question, which remains sticky for assorted efforts and tasks for nearly any company, Government, sports team, working nations, or modern family.

No comment on that Diva thing. I agree work needs to be done here to assist our user-community. Putting in on my list (again!)

:)

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Avid

Wow. Check this! (I will be...)

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=264830

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Digi, I honestly think you're 'overthinking' this. I'm not saying that PT has to handle the installation of every new plugin version, I understand that this isn't standardized, and I don't expect that would be easy.

BUT, within PT, there must be a relatively easy way to generate a 'current plugin list with version numbers'. Since PT already knows the 'manufacturer' (it must because I can sort that way) it just shouldn't be hard to also then list the 'current' version of the plugins. Get the manufactureres to help.

Set up a system whereby they can be the ones to supply you with the information you need. I can't imagine why all of them wouldn't be more than happy to drop an email to you every time they update. Then you just list that current number in your system, and PT can get online when calling up this window to display for your installed plugs, the current 'listed' version. Make that the responsibility of plugin developers.

And then also a field could be 'download' think, or even a link to the companies website. I don't expect you to handle the downloads. Just help us figure out WHEN new plugs are available.

The free app that the guy here wrote is a start, but I found it cumbersome and just not really what's needed.

But honestly, something akin to your massively outdated and incomplete 'plugin compatibility chart'. You could even have a simple 'submit plugin' button for plugins not yet included, that would drop an email to Digi. Then someone there can simply drop an email to the developer, inviting them to submit current version numbers, and it can be added to the list.

Seriously, this is just NOT that hard. It would require very minimal man-hours on your end, simply someone to enter the current version numbers into some kinda database that PT could reference, and the addition of a new 'plugin in version' window.

I mean, if someone here with little or no programing experience can and has written a good start, I'm not sure why this seems impossible for PT to incorporate.

And if you keep telling us time and time and time again, if nearly every response from Tech Support is 'check your plugins', then HELP us do that. When I was going through this time and time again, so many of the plugins I have aren't even ON your compatibility grid.