Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

A bit of a reality check here...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203718

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 06-19-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancyO View Post
YES this appears to be a funtastic alternative

ps: it opens/runs more than 1Session at a time

Oh really runs more than 1 session. Say What!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
A bit of a reality check here...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203718

Logic might be the move.

I go back to Logic 7 and stopped at 9. But I used Logic 9 and PT 9 for a few years. Most of my projects were in Logic while I was getting used to PT.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:22 PM
Tim Sincere

Bye bye Pro Tools after 15 years of money, money, money and problems, problems, problems.

I'm buying a perpetual license of Logic Pro X, including free upgrades forever, for the same price as a single year of Pro Tools.

Avid - you should get out more often. You're no longer the only DAW in town.

So long. It's been real(ly bad!)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM

Cluless suicide for Avid.
Greed much??
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 PM

This feels like a case of deja vu - didn’t we do this already a few years ago?!

One has to assume that Avid know who their customers are and the obvious focus on perpetual vanilla users (by far the biggest/standout $ increase) suggests that they will now take their chances with all the negativity and losing up to half of these users, in return for the remainder paying double or switching to their evidently preferred subscription model. It looks like the new management have decided what their target model looks like and we no longer fit in their plans ... but this time will surely follow through.

Many of us would prefer to stick with the application we prefer/enjoy but with the competition offering so much more value (in the case of Logic, Mac users are already paying the Apple tax so might as well benefit from their subsidised software) + unlikely they’ll backtrack again, I suspect they will succeed in shedding many customers this time.

I’m an occasional ‘hobbyist’ user who often goes many months without even launching PT, so probably not typical, but I guess Avid need to grow services sold to each customer, such as cloud storage, etc. to impress investors. Where else would any possibility of growth come from otherwise?

Like others, I’ve today extended my support plan for an extra year, well in advance of expiry, just to see how things pan out, but I also do not currently see myself giving up my perpetual licence and wouldn’t be surprised to see other segments/groups targeted aggressively in future also.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Tim Sincere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes
For how long?

1 year?
2 years?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Anyone looking to dump their Perpetual Native/Vanilla 2019.5 version of Pro Tools because you're moving to another DAW I'd be will to pay you as much as $75 for it. Message me if interested.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-19-2019, 04:21 PM

I went ahead and did the Sweetwater Gift Card deal and did the 1 year upgrade for my Vanilla version. That gives me one year to see how this shakes out. I will never go subscription as a personal choice and I won't pay $199.00 for Vanilla in the future.

My perception may be way off but I think all of this price change/subscription push mayhem will just affect hobbyists like myself or small home studios that don't really make money and can't take the hit.

I would speculate that any studio that is making reasonable money will just absorb the changes and increases as part of their doing business and send it to their accountant to deal with. Big money studios with tons of licenses won't flinch as it is just a part of doing business to them.
If Avid ever scraps perpetual licenses in the future I think then they may get some push back from the big boys but even that is a maybe.

Big gun studios just want to make money so as long as their systems continue to make them money they don't want to be bothered with these petty details.

So I will watch the show for one more year.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Default ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Anyone looking to dump their Perpetual Native/Vanilla 2019.5 version of Pro Tools because you're moving to another DAW I'd be will to pay you as much as $75 for it. Message me if interested.

$75?

I’m not dumping my perp license. Just not going to renew in 2020 @$199