Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-26-2002, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the Future of the 001...and Apple

FWIW a mix plus system is now priced exactly between an 001 and the latest TDM system!

As for system X, you'll hear from anybody who's ever tried to use a Unix box for audio that preemptive multitasking is going to take a huge hit out of your native processing power. I wouldn't be in a hurry.
Old 01-26-2002, 04:33 PM

jeston the roland boxes and others just suck you cant use high end out bord gear or high end converters or the protoos standerd format.
ther not true 24 bit thay do ther own thing
they all sound like a 70s mono boom box to me
they dont come close to digi or logic
or even cubase. ther just a shoe box whit knobs
Old 01-26-2002, 05:00 PM

Apple to buy Avid was and still is only a rumor to us. Besides i heard the deal was already done, u say they are still negotiating. Either way its just a rumor. I think Avid woould be too expensive a purchase for Apple right now. Look how much they have spent on these new stores and their profits arn't exactly huge atm. Besides, Avid is a company aimed at professionals, Apple now days seems only really interested in the toy shopping market.

I think Digi is wasting their resources developing Midi Time Stamping technology over USB. The reason is, Firewire already has timing information. USB doesn't have and timing information built into the protocol thus the need for proprietory time stamping technology is needed. It would seem to make more sense to just develop Firewire based MIDI/Audio products for the lowend market since on the Mac thats where things are clearly headed. USB 2.0 otoh still does not have any timing info and is not really on Apple's roadmap. Best to get into developing FW stuff now, be ahead of the curve with less to do later on.

I suspect Apple will have their future PPC chips supplied by IBM, while Motorola may continue to supply G4 chips for lowend iMacs and like products.

Mac hardware really is the laughing stock of the computer industry right now. We are blindly getting ripped off by Apple with the cost of the Powermac lineup. The hardware is very lowend compared to PC hardware of 6 months ago and the CPU's are much slower than offerings by AMD. While the Mac OS is great to use, the line of a nice OS and a pretty case between blatently outdated slow hardware is getting dangerously close to being drawn for me and many other Mac users i know. In short Apple better get their shiot together by the end of this year.

Targon
Old 01-26-2002, 05:39 PM

I´m still using SDII with a Sound tools interface....did I miss something?

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

www.abacomusic.com
Old 01-27-2002, 08:30 PM

lately it occurs to me...

Hey maybe they don't need firewire, maybe that's another new box....

For now dIgi001 editing of iMove clip's works ok. Not glamourous but functional.

Time code would be a nice addition, but for now anything I finnish goes on to a Post house for re-shooting, titles and such.- Curiously, Avid's other market. Which has been a little overrun by an apple product FCP, which now runs native and in real time (including audio with osx full support of I believe 4 tracks or something like that). From that can be gleaned a couple of things. Audio and for that matter video go nicely with osX. And secondly that apple has the capability to create the software. And thirdly that Apple might just have some good reason to start talking to Avid about "partnering". Then there's this tag along kid, DIGI design looking for some guidance and a bit of development help. In exchange for a mostly apple specific target market receiving products tailored to a core apple market. However Apples products have become credible competitors for Digi's products ( the low end at least). Who have previously held a boutique market. So think of it as flower shops. Flower shops with caterpillars ( us) eating away in a benign kind of unstoppable forward motion way at the structure. hence success comes when the flower shops discover the beauty of the butterflies they got for free to send off with the flowers as a added benefit to the consumer ( also us).

Please refer further questions to Nika.

thank you.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:07 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Mac hardware really is the laughing stock of the computer industry right now. We are blindly getting ripped off by Apple with the cost of the Powermac lineup. The hardware is very lowend compared to PC hardware of 6 months ago and the CPU's are much slower than offerings by AMD.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This just goes to show how good Intel and AMD's marketting hype really is.

I write crossplatform applications (mac/windows/linux) and I can tell you that in all the ways that count, you just can't compare an Intel processor at a particular speed to a PowerPC at even half that speed.

So forget the numbers. In all tests (audio, blitting, disk, net, compiling, rendering) that I have run (and many others like me who do what I do), a PowerPC 500 is about the same as a 1Ghz athlon (this is not a solid ratio, just a comparison).

There is negligible real speed difference between a 800MHz and a 1.2GHz AMD (or Intel for that matter).

Don't buy the hype. There really is no point in spending all that money for a faster machine (unless you really care about higher Doom frame rates!).
Old 01-28-2002, 09:36 AM

I just want my adat to be displaying the same time my PT's system is and this stupid 03:03.956 doesnt cut it. whats this hybrid LE/TDM ruler about? rulers are cool to but I just want my smpte time base back. whats the workaround?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:17 PM

It allows you to display TC in the Sub display menu (not in the main menu).It's just a PT display feature, it won't allow you to send SMPTE to your ADAT or anything like this. I don't use it much but if you feel you need it, send me an email and I'll send the template back to you.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:51 PM

I'm not a programmer, so maybe I'm not in the "know," but when I read the performance posts on the Windows forum I really question if it's not Apple's hype that's misleading.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:10 PM

The last time any real performance test’s were done around here, the fastest Mac was about a G4 500. It would be interesting to how the latest Mac and PC offerings compare.