Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-26-2002, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on the Future of the 001...and Apple

Well I wouldn't exactly call the 001 the "leading Mac interface".

The future of host-based "prosumer" systems is in Firewire. The next 001, if there is one, will be firewire. At least, it better be. There will be lots of opportunities for technologies to advance and therefore many reasons for you to get a new Mac.

- Firewire will improve in speed and performance. You'll need new hardware to take advantage of this.

- OS X!! Before too long neither Apple nor Digidesign, MOTU, eMagic, etc. will offer much support for OS 9. You might need a faster Mac to properly take advantage of OS X.

The digi001 is at least two-year-old technology. It's time for something new, something that takes advantage of recent developements.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:27 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digidesign:
did someone have a little too much to drink tonight, or is the ritalin all gone?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! The stoic Digidesign administrator finally succombs to the tyranny of mindless posts and reveals that he is, in fact, a human after all.

This is a day for the calendars all!

encephalon
Lush Music

Perhaps it is a lack of Ritilin that caused me to try out a 15' custom DIGI001 cable this evening - and succeed!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:05 AM

Hey Mr JackO., since you're kinda new here, you should know that the TC ruler is in fact available. Not really from Digi...just an hybrid session between PTLE&PT TDM that was discovered some months ago by some of our fellow DUCers.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:40 AM

There is no relationship between Apple and Digidesign.
The 001 is not the big money maker for Digidesign, nor is it marketed to the top line professional. It was designed for the home studio/hobbyist. Their money and majority of support is in the high end systems that have been and will remain the industry standards.
Want more than what the 001 offers, then don't buy it. Otherwise stop ya whining. OSX support will come when it comes, along with dual processor support and more tracks. It is no easy task to write software for an entirely new operating system,(if it was don't ya think some hacker would have one for sale to you by now?) and since their are far more high end systems that 001's out there, and the owners of thse systems paid far more money than us 001 owners, they are most likely to get their upgrade first, so take a breath. If you can't express your creativity with 24 tracks, another 8 is not going to help you. If your business demands more than 24 tracks, you can afford a bigger system than the 001.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:28 AM

To Digi Web Admin: As I read through this thread/ and DUC, I observed the comments of web personalities that I have come to 'know' interesting thoughts which are all possible, but unsubstantiated. You however, break in with a very funny, unsuspected comment! It's important that you all (digi and DUC) continue to take this with a grain of salt, and respond once in awhile (digi). It proves a human side, gives us an excellent perspective, let's us know that you are all aware of what's goin down on the street ... and can be entertaining!
Thanks all.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:54 AM

I too am disappointed by Digi's slowness in understanding firewire's advantages, developing OSX (XP...) compatibility, &c.

But for crying out loud, what you can do with a Digi001 & a decent Mac (or a stable PC, if that exists) is MINDBLOWING for an oldtimer like me.

I mean, back in the 80s when I was producing demos and indie records in NYC, master quality studio time was $$$ - so I did preproduction on 4-track open-reel Teacs. And later, multitrack cassette machines, taking a quality hit just for the ease of use - but that didn't matter because master quality was not possible anyway outside a pro studio.

Digi has positioned itself as the leading supplier to pro studios during the digital revolution. Their cautious and conservative approach to hardware / software validation means that they provide the big boys with reliability, absolutely key in a pro environment. But they have also understood that the prosumer market includes pro engineers & producers & musicians with a setup at home, plus a mass market of hobbyists / home recordists (I am now in this category), plus video postprod suites who don't need fullblown multitrack audio capability... all of whom want to function in the SAME software environment as the pros.

I chose the Digi001 not only for its capabilities, which are largely sufficient for my needs (well OK 2 extra mic preamps would have been helpful, and how about firewire?), but because I want seamless compatibility between my home rig and a pro studio. There are two Digi TDM pro studios a five-minute walk from where I live now, and having the flexibility to do basic tracks or overdubs outside and mixing inside is FABULOUS.

The folk & classical stuff I am doing these days with the Digi001, PTLE & a few pro mics & outboard is master quality and easily transferable to any pro studio - I for one am very pleased that Digi made this possible.

Finally, as for Apple, although the theoretical G5 specs look good, I would not be surprised if they waited for the OSX installed base to reach 50% to port their new flavor of Unix to Athlon for example. Creative pros want speed and reliability, and XP is a threat. If OSX could run on cheap Athlon motherboards designed for Mac particularities, Apple could perhaps break out of their 4% market share niche... while concentrating on consumer-friendly gadgets and computers on the other side

- Sean
Old 01-26-2002, 09:48 AM

To me the whole question about digi is whether they are interested in empowering users at this end of the scale. yes they are the "industry standard" when it comes to pro studios. whoop dee do. when someone else is paying for it i will gladly record to reels of toilet paper if it sounds good. (BTW i have recorded commercial releases in some well known places.) compatibilty is really not an issue....file transfers can be done across platforms and programs if we're talking hard disk. it just may take a little longer.

what is really annoying is that there are are so many people/products out there who want to LET me make great recordings in my house, without the constraints of a major studio or error messages.

digi WILL NEVER get behind any powered dsp other than TDM. the reality is that the pro studio market ,(which will be like the market for today's travel agents in 10 years) is where they continue to focus their efforts, all the while riding on their laurels.

the 001 is 2 years old. what is that in dog...errrr i mean technology years?

there is software and hardware out there designed to empower you, at a much lower cost than a TDM system. yeah, i guess it's not quite as fashionable but it will do just fine.

yep, it's your choice. digi has already made theirs.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:21 AM

This is always a tough call, for me. On one hand, I'm still loving the things my 001 and PTLE let me do. On the other hand, I get so frustrated at the limitations. For small projects, I have zero complaints. For larger track and plug in counts, I feel like I'm always 90%, but have to jump through too many hoops and workarounds to finish the job. That last 10% should be attainable without resorting to a TDM system, and that's what urks me. Give me the last 10% of my 24 tracks, and I'll be much happier.

This may be a poor anogly, but I do graphic design for a living and I saw the same problem with graphics software and hardware developers, years ago. There have been many "high end" companies that have died a slow death because they held on too long to their proprietary software/hardware "solutions". Prior to personal computers, these industry giants regined, and you payed dearly for their systems, and had to pass that expense on to your clients. When desktop personal computers started making serious progress, end users screamed for solutions to work on these machines; not just to cut costs, but also to have in house control and creative freedom, and produce pro quality graphics. I belive the beauty of the 001 is just that; the ability to work in a home/project studio and still interface with the downtown studios when needed. The companies that held on to the proprietary systems moved too, slow too late. Some died, some still exist but never recoved the position they once had.

Will Digidesign forever be the high end pro solution? I dunno, but don't really care that much because I'll never need at TDM system. I'm only interested in my lowly end of the recording spectrum, and figure that in a (very) short while, there will be too many compelling reasons to go with another system, if it proves to solve my current limitations. My frustration with the 001 is small compared to my optimism that something else will work out if the 001 doesn't.

That said, I still dig my 001, and I would glady upgrade to an OSX version and stay with this format. Hey, the 001 was CHEAP, so I don't have much of an investment loss, and I've made my money back on it many times over. I just want more, like everyone else. I'll get it, one way or another.

I have always been a Mac user, but burned too many times by products Apple introduced then dropped. I wouldn't trust them with pro audio hardware if my business relied on it. Sure, Apple OS and pro audio hardware/software compatibiliy could be solid if they got serious about it, but they should have started that years ago when most music apps were on the Mac. I think they missed that boat.

my 2 cents,
Dave Patterson
Knobville
Old 01-26-2002, 11:28 AM

What about competing with the desktop boxes like the Roland VS series and YAMAHA? You know exactly how many tracks and effects you can use in a session.

001/LE is a nice entry level rig - if you have the computer already - which I would say, many people already have a computer that is capable of running LE. So if the price range for the standalones goes from say $1500-$3500 for a complete solution with built in effects, maybe digi can do something in between TDM and 001? If we could use the full 24 tracks and say a guranteed 4 stereo or eight mono effects - that might be cool.

The struggle still lies in the computer - where there are no guarantees...

peace
Old 01-26-2002, 11:34 AM

There was a thread about people making a living with the 001-I was amazed people were doing so well with it, and pleased for them. Probaly not what Digi had in mind, but who knows.
I'm a part time musician and 001 owner who owns a small non music business. If I had the opportunity to make a living doing music for picture, or as a recording artist, or any number of other recording related ways, and assuming I could make something near what I'm now earning, I would have no qualms about buying an HD system. In fact , I'm sorely tempted to buy one anyway. I really don't know what "a living" is for the pro 001 users, but if I was making a mortgage, and taking care of a wife and kids, hell, even HD seems like a reasonable investment. For someone to enter the business I'm in, they would need many times the cost of such a system. I'm not talking about building a 500,000 dollar studio, but a home setup. If you can edit music, record bands, or produce music for commercials,etc, in your home and all it cost you is $20,000 to set up a system that allows you to do that, you are doing very well IMO. Hell, it probably costs more than that to start a carpet cleaning business. If you can do it with the 001, or DP or Logic or Nuendo for far less, even better. The fact that you can do it at all is something pretty new and very happening.