How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM

Talking I just bought PT10. Should I expect excitement or dissapointment? :-P

Hello All!

I just bought PT10 (native, my interface is Eleven Rack) and I'm now downloading it as I type. I'm upgrading from PT9.

There's a personal project I've been working on with my brother, which we started in PT LE 8 about a year and a half ago. It's almost finished. When I upgraded from PT8 to PT9, there was definitely excitement on the new features and improved performance, and most of all, because we got the so long awaited ADC. Everything was better and good from there.

Now, I decided to purchase PT10, but I want to ask the people who have already walked this path: Should I expect excitement (as good as from PT8 to PT9) or dissapointment on having spent 299 on the upgrade?

The one thing that came to my attention was the possibility to mix down to a 32bit bus. I'm expecting that to give me a much better mix even when each track is originally recorded at 24bit. That, given that I'm right by thinking there's some harmonic/detail loss from each track when you have to lower the levels of a lot of tracks to make everything fit into a 24bit bus, even when the final mix ends up in a 16bit audio CD, but I'm actually not sure if that happens or not. Am I wrong by expecting a much better mix sound thanks to a 32bit master track?

One thing that I'm really wondering is about plugins. Will my current plugins work correctly in PT10 at 32 bit? I mean, are those plugins internally made to handle only a maximum of 24 bit (as they were made for PT9 and lower versions) or is that all the way handled by ProTools?

Please comment!

Thanks in advance,

Francisco
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM

Default Re: I just bought PT10. Should I expect excitement or dissapointment? :-P

Your plugs will work and you will like PT10...

I would STRONGLY suggest that you make an image/clone of your working drive before you install 10, just in case you have issues.. Your best option would be to pick up a new drive and do fresh O/S and PT install on that.

Enjoy!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Re: I just bought PT10. Should I expect excitement or dissapointment? :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Your plugs will work and you will like PT10...

I would STRONGLY suggest that you make an image/clone of your working drive before you install 10, just in case you have issues.. Your best option would be to pick up a new drive and do fresh O/S and PT install on that.

Enjoy!
Thanks! That's always a good advise. And yes, I make images before trying changes and I try them on a new partition. If everything works fine, then I move it to the original one.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 PM

The only thing that dissapointed me was that there was no new splash screen I actually expected a new one. (and I'm serious) But it's still PT but it's got some great new stuff. I love the Channel Strip, and clip gain has already been awesome. It's so great for doing kick and snare leveling. The only thing I've noticed is that the session done in 9 that I'm working on, in 32 bit float, seems to be clipping where it wasn't before, but I'm not sure.

I'm happy with it, and I sure didn't waste any money on it. :)
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

My brother said the same thing about the splash screen and colors!

Well, so far it's been a great update, working like a charm. I'm not sure though about the 32 bit audio. I opened a 24 bit session from PT9 and I edited the session parameters in the session menu to make it 32 bit. Still, I see all levels are the same. Isn't the 32 bit option something supposed to give you more head room in the levels? I mean, all my tracks were recorded at 24 bit and I don't notice a change in the level metters.

Cheers,

Francisco
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM

if itwas recorded in 24 bit it is going ttobe24 bit no matter what. if you record it all in 32 bit then you have the headroom you are looking for. mixdown however should be ok if all the tracks are in 24bit but the bounce going to 32 bit because that would be a whole new track summed.
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 670MHz (1.34GHz)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (C:)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (G:)
Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600 x64
gateway 24inch hdmi dvi HD monitor
pro tools LE 8.0.4
Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerhal View Post
if itwas recorded in 24 bit it is going ttobe24 bit no matter what. if you record it all in 32 bit then you have the headroom you are looking for. mixdown however should be ok if all the tracks are in 24bit but the bounce going to 32 bit because that would be a whole new track summed.
I noticed when importing commercial CD music into 32 bit float sessions they clip as well. I don't know why yet. But in 9 at 24 bit they did not.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerhal View Post
What about Aux tracks? Shoudn't I be able to notice more headroom in a mix?

For example, I have 8 audio tracks for drums (kick, snare, toms, overheads, etc) and I mixed them into one Aux track when I was working on PT9 at 24bit. That submix was done at an "almost but not peaking" level.

Now that I moved the session to PT10 and set its parameters to allow 32bit, I thought I would notice some extra head room in that Aux track, since it was holding to the top a mix made at 24bit, meaning that the sum of the drum tracks were mixed to fill up a 24bit Aux track originally, but now it's supposed to support up to 32bit, which is almost 50% more room for level, but it's still getting almost to the peak, exactly as it was doing it in PT9.

Do you get what I'm trying to explain here?

Thanks!

Francisco
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Actually I believe the mixer in 9 as in 10 was/is 32 bit float. Its the file depth that's changed. But it's to late for me to rap my head around it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM

The mixer in 10 is 64 bit float.