Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2015, 05:20 AM

Default It just occurred to me..... (Pro Tools 9 install disk & disk imaging/cloning)

That if anything should happen to my one and only Pro tools 9 install disk I'd be dead in the water! I just learned from another post that 9 is no longer supported! ( I haven't been keeping up with all the Avid politics so please excuse if this is a moot issue). My question is can I copy my current disk to a regular CDR? Is the original disk copy protected? Would I have to go the e-bay route to purchase a used disk and put myself at risk by dealing with a shyster? Is there good news? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 AM

Default Re: It just occurred to me.....

Isn't 9 in your Avid Account? I don't have back to PT 5, where I started but I do have PT LE 8 in my Avid Account, PT 11 which I crossgraded to from 8 and PT 12 which I updated to from 11. All available for download in my Account. (Never had 9 or 10.)

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks Bruce and please pardon my ignorance. So all I need do if that occurs is go to my avid/pt's account and there it is for me to download! I'd best download one for a spare just incase Pro fools files for bankruptcy. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM

If you registered it should be there, but do check. And yes, if it is there, download it and any updates. Keep them on a separate drive and burn them to a DVD too.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 10-13-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
That if anything should happen to my one and only Pro tools 9 install disk I'd be dead in the water! I just learned from another post that 9 is no longer supported! ( I haven't been keeping up with all the Avid politics so please excuse if this is a moot issue). My question is can I copy my current disk to a regular CDR? Is the original disk copy protected? Would I have to go the e-bay route to purchase a used disk and put myself at risk by dealing with a shyster? Is there good news? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I don't have back to PT 5, where I started
I still have my PT5.1 cd actually. Both physically and, better, as a disk image file, also called a "clone". Along with lots of other important stuff I needed to keep safe.

Terry, I recommend you find out how to make disk images on your win pc. I'm on mac, so I'm not of any help there, but it's not difficult. And you can have perfect copies of your PT9 cd on different locations if you want. Even better, make a clone of your main PT boot disk to restore from in case of disaster.

Windows-guys, recommend best approach to cloning disks, that is, making disk image files?

(And there's no copy protection on the cd.)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 PM

I have also saved nearly every version ever released. If you get in a bind, I'd be happy to burn a DVD for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-14-2015, 05:16 AM

Thanks The Weed, Ben Jensen and albee. I am going to look in to how to do a disk image or clone. I read an article about it for pc but the more I read, the more confused I became. I'll approach it again with more determination. Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 AM

Terry, I highly recommend Macrium Reflect 6 Free. Perfect for imaging and making clones. Please read the manual - available online as a PDF download - carefully, especially re making clones as cloning overwrites any data already on the drive being cloned to. Images may be a better starting point as they are files and don't overwrite any other information on the drive the image is being written to.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 AM

Thanks. for the info. I'll certainly look in to this.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Default Imaging Software

Hey out there, THE WEED. (Bruce). I took your advice and downloaded the free imaging software and burned a cd of my system. I have not yet downloaded the manual but I will tomorrow and I'll heed your advice about the cloning process. So now if anything goes wrong all I need do is load the cd and all will be automatic? I guess I did it right but if odds are that I'll screw up I usually do. My apologies to the moderators if this post is improper. It probably should have been a PM,(?).