Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Any reccomendations for type of DVI Repeater

Just wanted to see what you guys have found to be a reliable brand DVI repeater and which ones maybe don't work as well. All input would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Any reccomendations for type of DVI Repeater

Depends on how far you want to go.... I found some 10m DVI cables on the interweb, and they're great! Any further of course and you're looking at something more substantial....

Mat
Old 01-29-2007, 02:00 AM

I'm using a Gefen DVI extender to allow the mounting of a 30" Apple display on an articulated arm. It also has connections for USB and Firewire 400. It's was installed very easily and has worked for 3 weeks with no problems. I've used other Gefen products in the past and do not anticipate any problems.

Good luck

Rob

http://www.gefen.com/index.jsp
Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Geffen is definitely the DVI repeater / extender of choice at my facility. I've found that although the spec for non-active DVI cables is 16 feet, the 30 inch cinema displays are a bit more finicky due to the extremely high bandwidth signal required to drive them at full res. If you want to combine other connections like USB / firewire with the DVI, then Geffen definitely has some of the best products around but are pricey. Black Box also makes video products I like.

In a couple of our studios where DVI video was the only thing necessary, we used a Geffen DVI-DL extender, which actively boosts the signal and I have a 16 foot cable on either end with a Geffen gender changer to get into the cinema display. It was a cheaper solution than the boxes capable of 500 feet plus.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The nVidia PCI-E card that comes standard in the current line of Mac Pros can have an issue when connected to third party DVI extension products. I've spoken with Geffen on this and apparently there is a +5 volt 'hot plug' pin in the DVI connector that many PC's use but Macs do not. If there is voltage present on this pin, it may freak out the video card and cause your Mac Pro to not boot. I discovered this only after installing four Mac Pros in four studios only to discover not a single one of them would boot. Geffen's suggested fix was to actually cut the hot plug pin out of the DVI connector (probably not on your most expensive cable but an adapter or something.) I believe it was pin 19 they suggested, but you would want to double check. I have not yet tried this myself as I needed to pull the Mac Pros and drop G5's back in the studios for the time being. Just a heads up so you wont have to discover that at 3am like I did:)

Cheers,
- Mike Olson
The Los Angeles Recording School
www.larecordingschool.com
Pro Tools HD 7.x Certified Operator - Music & Post
Certified ICON Mixer