Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Unhappy Avid_i want my money back!!

Dear AVID, I purchased protools 10, Nov 3 2012, for the past week or so for some unbeknownst reason my protools 10 with CPTK crashes on a regular and constant basis! i'm running 0Sx 10.6.8 on a macbook pro 2.66ghz i7 unit. Nothing has changed on my end as far as i'm aware. I have contacted you folks via the free avid tech support route ( the one provided when I purchased my protools 10) regarding the issue with the pro-control, and have brought this up on this forum last week, the issue being whenever I switch to sends view on the control surface protools x crashes. If I take the same session and run it on my protools 9 partition everything is hunky dory!
Frankly I don't have time to F_____k around, I'm a busy man; trying to figure out bugs with your software is a waste of my time, after all the time and research you put into this version you'd think it would work properly without major glitches as I've just run into. Bottom line is, if you folks consider yourselves a pro company then start acting like one and take this issue along with the other issues I have sent you via the tech support route seriously and if you can't do that please send me a refund cheque, as you did with version 8 of protools that didn't work on my PPC!

Lets see how professional you really are.

Please forward this message along to your management team, I'd like to hear what they have to say regarding this.

Ps: as of right now i am forsaking using protools x until you can help me resolve these and my other tech issues, i can't risk loosing data or have projects crash whenever I hit the flip switch, and I outright refuse to use a bloody mouse to mix!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Avid_i want my money back!!

I think avid should issue you your refund and you just just dissappear. Seriously this should be a lesson of what happens when you buy software before any updates. I'm fine with errors, I find ways around them.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
D the issue being whenever I switch to sends view on the control surface protools x crashes[/B][/I]. If I take the same session and run it on my protools 9 partition everything is hunky dory!
What's your control surface?
Did you have any update done automatically to osx that you didn't know?
Did your control surface get an update drivers that you didn't know?
Do you actually need to do an update driver?
Have you tried going back to a previous driver?
Has your firmware been updated without your knowledge?
Do you need to go back to a previous firmware?
What programs have you installed on your computer just prior to this starting to happen?
Have you installed a plugin lately that might need to be updated to the most recent version?
Even if you are not using a pluging, but it's in your folder, did you know that an outdated plugin can make your system unstable?

You say nothing changed, that you are aware of, did you actually try to see if anything changed at all?

have you tried to reinstall your control surface drivers, just to be sure that for some reason they didn't get corrupted and when you are using some specific function it makes your system unstable and PT crashes?

Before laying down accusation, you yourself said that there was nothing changed that you were aware of, this should tell you right away that you should check your end of things, for the things you might not be aware of that could have changed, before placing any accusation.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM

It's a lot of work and you have to try harder rather than just insult Avid as an unprofessional company. Everyone (almost) sooner or later experiences problems with PT... it goes with the territory. Take these suggestions and figure it out. Be patient. Work.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 AM

This effort should've been put into troubleshooting...
If you care to explain the circumstances and your exact system details, I'm sure someone will try to help you. Or better, you might find someone with similar problem, and maybe you can figure out a solution.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Dear AVID, I purchased protools 10, Nov 3 2012
I think you have to wait untill you actually have bought it befor you can get your money back.

I guess you mean 2011. Have you tried to reinstall PT or OSX ?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
regarding the issue with the pro-control, and have brought this up on this forum last week, the issue being whenever I switch to sends view on the control surface protools x crashes. If I take the same session and run it on my protools 9 partition everything is hunky dory!
So to verify - when you try to hit the FLIP button on Pro Control (attempting to flip to one of the sends) PT10 crashes. Anybody else using pro control having the same issue?

Wasn't support for pro control dropped somewhere around PT 7.4 or PT 8 at the latest?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 AM

I've been researching this issue and I'm not alone, seems to be an issue with all procontrol owners are having.

In terms of troubleshooting I've done most of what was suggested by Emcha_audio, regarding auto OS Updates: I never allow this to happen.

To quickly answer the following:

Do you actually need to do an update driver?
Have you tried going back to a previous driver?

these are very good questions and suggestions, I will try to use the protools 9 procontrol driver and see if PTx will accept it.

You say nothing changed, that you are aware of, did you actually try to see if anything changed at all?
I've checked this out and indeed I have not changed a single thing. As I stated above the issue seems to be a common thread among procontrol users
running PTx.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
I think avid should issue you your refund and you just just dissappear. Seriously this should be a lesson of what happens when you buy software before any updates. I'm fine with errors, I find ways around them.
I'm sorry I don't want to derail the thread but my eyes went when I read this.
This has got to be the most backwards viewpoint as a professional PAYING consumer I have ever seen.

If your paying a painter to paint your house white, but there's 2-3 grey circles that he missed and he says "find a way to work around it... maybe hang a picture over it" are you gonna be cool with it? Yes it's being brave diving into the 1st version of any software, but sounds like there are some MAJOR issues with PT10 that Avid hasn't even addressed or acknowledged yet.

I strive for excellence and getting my mixes productions right the FIRST time... not telling my clients "ohh well, you can work around this mix, by boosting the highs until I get you another one that will be right". No, I get it right the 1st time, I expect anyone I'm paying money to as well (AVID) to get it right as well. I wouldn't stay in business long if I didn't make myself accountable before I give it to my clients.

I can't make excuses to my clients that pro tools is being weird today, they expect a professional product delivered and could care less about cache sizes or DAE errors. I expect the same from AVID. Just make it work.

We are accepting mediocrity and being cool with it.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Frustration often meets exasperation on the DUC. I applaud the OP for taking the high road with the followup. I think we could offer better advice with more info. A detailed description of the system, including info on OS version, all interface and hardware info and such can't hurt. Given the reviews I have seen on 10, I am planing on buying it as soon as I can afford it. But, as with every update or upgrade, I stay safe by never implementing any new stuff in the middle of a project, and always have a backup plan(mine is to clone my system drive and then set it aside so I can reinstall it if the updates go sour). Sadly, hard drive prices are spiking right now due to flooding that shut down the factories overseas. It was a treat buying WD Caviar Black 500GB drives for $50

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave