Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-10-2003, 10:46 AM

Default protools w/ mbox doesn\'t work on my pc (xp)!

I have just unwrapped my brand new mbox, I have updated xp to sp1, have created a fresh partition just for audio, I install protools, update the mbox firmware, I launch pt and... it freeze (I mean xp is still here but pt died) 5 min later when I try to import my first audio file.
It does this several times in different situations, including a few self-reboots. And the only sound I can hear from the mbox is when I read a file in the "import menu", and it is not continuous play. In the edit windows, pressing space lead to nothing, except a little "play" in the left corner. The timeline is still, nothing happend. I tried different settings (in the buffer size and cpu usage limit), but nothing.
I didn't tried to reccord, but I don't think this will be better.

have anybody anything to suggest? I'd really appreciate in my situation.

My settings:

WXP PRO + SP1
AMD duron 800
384 Mb SDRAM
HD 7200 rpm IDE, ATA 66
VIA chipsets (msi kt7 pro 2-a)
SB live 1024
Geforce 2 mx (32 mb)
Old 01-11-2003, 02:32 AM

Default Re: protools w/ mbox doesn\'t work on my pc (xp)!

also my IRQ 5 is shared by both my USB and my graphic card.
Could anybody help?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:16 AM

I will be getting some version of PT later in the year. Either Mbox or 002. And this is what scares me about PT on the PC. For example, with Sonar or Cubase you are very unlikely to have any probs installing them on a PC. However with PT I see alot of probs on this site. I want to wait about 4-6 months so that Digidesign can get their PC act together.

It may indeed be a USB prob. Or an IRQ conflict between your USB and vid card. I seem to remember reading that you have to have a "free" USB slot. And you have the SP1 for WinXP so you should be ok there. Don't plug into a USB hub, go strait into the computer. You should have more than one USB slot so if you are using it for something else (like a printer) you may have to find another way to use that printer.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:24 AM

That's the only USB I'm using.

Is there any way to switch my IRQ to a "free" IRQ?
I know you can do that by switching pci slot , but here there is no way to move anything.
Anyway would a full reinstall of windows be a solution? I'm stucked here, I can't even call Digidesgn, they're closed.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelso:
That's the only USB I'm using.

Is there any way to switch my IRQ to a "free" IRQ?
I know you can do that by switching pci slot , but here there is no way to move anything.
Anyway would a full reinstall of windows be a solution? I'm stucked here, I can't even call Digidesgn, they're closed.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i don't think the AMD duron cpu is supported by digidesign for the m box. check the "compatibility" link at the top of this page.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:42 PM

Try this, located on the compatibilities page.

Caution - Mbox is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

* Dell Inspiron line of laptop computers
* Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets
* Computers with motherboards containing mixed chipsets from AMD plus VIA combined
* "ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive" Sound, video and game controller. This device can be disabled from the "Device Manager" in the "System" Control Panel.
* SampleCell II PCI cards and SampleCell Editor are not compatible with Windows XP

And never assume anything. If they don't have something listed on their copmat page, email and ask.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitronick:
Try this, located on the compatibilities page.

Caution - Mbox is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

* Dell Inspiron line of laptop computers
* Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets
* Computers with motherboards containing mixed chipsets from AMD plus VIA combined
* "ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive" Sound, video and game controller. This device can be disabled from the "Device Manager" in the "System" Control Panel.
* SampleCell II PCI cards and SampleCell Editor are not compatible with Windows XP
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and this-

Supported CPU Models & Speeds

Intel Pentium 4 - Processors with 1.3 GHz speeds or higher supported, Single Processor
Intel Pentium III - Processors with 500 MHz speeds or higher supported, Single Processor
AMD Athlon XP - Processors of all speeds supported, Single Processor
AMD Athlon Thunderbird - Processors of all speeds supported, Single Processor
Old 01-12-2003, 12:00 AM

I saw it but I thought they just forgot to mention it, and they coudn't put every cpu on the list.
You're maybe rght, but I can't be sure It's the cause, so I can't buy a new cpu if I'm not sure it will work.
I will try my mbox on other computer, try other applications w/ mbox on mine to be sure.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:34 AM

maybe you're right [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
But I don't have anything from the incompatibility list. I thought if something was known not working they would have write it.
I'll try to call them
Old 01-12-2003, 06:45 AM

digidesign should provide a form in which you could enter all your components and verify your computer is compatible with their products.