Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Is there an upgrade from PT12 to PT12 HD?

Sorry if this has been covered already, I can't find any posts on this.

I already have Pro Tools 12 but have just read that despite having 5.1 tracks and templates right there on my screen there is no way of routing the output physically to 5.1 without upgrading to HD, which seems odd. (There must surely be some sort of workaround involving aux sends, but I digress.)

So anyway, is there an upgrade from Pro Tools 12 to Pro Tools 12 HD or have I simply wasted my money buying Pro Tools 12?

PS I should mention that I haven't yet purchased an appropriate interface; I just have the Avid Fast Track Duo interface.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Is there an upgrade from PT12 to PT12 HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Banana Studio View Post
Sorry if this has been covered already, I can't find any posts on this.

I already have Pro Tools 12 but have just read that despite having 5.1 tracks and templates right there on my screen there is no way of routing the output physically to 5.1 without upgrading to HD, which seems odd. (There must surely be some sort of workaround involving aux sends, but I digress.)

So anyway, is there an upgrade from Pro Tools 12 to Pro Tools 12 HD or have I simply wasted my money buying Pro Tools 12?

PS I should mention that I haven't yet purchased an appropriate interface; I just have the Avid Fast Track Duo interface.
Unfortunately there is no crossgrade from PT12 Native to PT12HD.

If you really need HD and you can΄t/don΄t want to get the Avid Pro Tools HD Native package for €3000-4000.-,
you could buy a separate Pro Tools 12HD license (comes with 11HD+10HD as well) from this pro audio shop.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-PRO-TOO...MAAOSw37tWCAn1

It is the Ebay shop from a very reliable, legit pro audio dealer called audiodeluxe.com.
http://audiodeluxe.com

I bought myself such a HD license from them half a year ago successfully. They were fast, kind and supportive.
I additionally bought an HD upgrade plan for my HD from Sweetwater.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTHDsupp-e

So it will be around €1800-1900.- all together but this still will be half the price for the most affordable Avid Pro
Tools HD Native package.

As for a 5.1 work around there may chime in others as well.

The best of success to you!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM

Hi and Welcome to the Community

Sorry to say there is no upgrade path to any HD version from non HD versions of PT. And there is no way to buy a HD license without hardware except taking a risk on the second hand market. Prices vary from 1200 USD and up but as Avid doesn't allow transfers of HD licenses without Hardware you have to do a lot of jumping thru hoops to get the license in your name in order to get updates etc further down the road.

Best way to get a HD12 license would be to buy a secondhand HD9/HD10/HD11 license and upgrade that for $599 to HD12.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2015, 12:17 PM

I have Pro Tools HD 8.0.3 (TDM) running on a Mac Pro mid 2010, can I upgrade to Pro Tools 12HD? I see you can upgrade from 9HD but I don't see anywhere if 8HD to 12HD is possible.

Enrico Castagnetti

27" iMac mid 2011
Mac Mini late 2014
13" MacBook Pro Retina mid 2014

Pro Tools 12.3 + Logic Pro X
Apogee Duet for Mac
Apogee Ensemble
M-Audio ProFire 610
Waves Gold
Dynaudio BM5 mkIII
Rythmik Audio F12SE Subwoofer
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I have Pro Tools HD 8.0.3 (TDM) running on a Mac Pro mid 2010, can I upgrade to Pro Tools 12HD? I see you can upgrade from 9HD but I don't see anywhere if 8HD to 12HD is possible.
No way to go from HD8 to HD12 as far as I understood it. There is a path to HD10 and from that you can goto HD12 but it would be quite a few dollars and if I wanted to do that i would buy into a second hand OMNI bundle with HD software and HD Native card for basically what the path from HD8 to HD12 would cost me.

Also would look into a trade in for the TDM System if thats still viable.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
as Avid doesn't allow transfers of HD licenses without Hardware you have to do a lot of jumping thru hoops to get the license in your name in order to get updates etc further down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Best way to get a HD12 license would be to buy a secondhand HD9/HD10/HD11 license and upgrade that for $599 to HD12.
That΄s why I avoided all the complications and risks and went for this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-PRO-TOO...MAAOSw37tWCAn1
have never looked back. Still happy with my purchase.

Cheers.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:24 PM

Avid DOES officially allow transfers of 10/11HD without hardware for licenses like mine, which was upgraded from CPTK.

If anyone wants to make me a sensible offer, I'll seriously consider selling it.

There is still plenty of time for you to then upgrade it to 12HD before the end of the year.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Pro tools new transfer policy does not permit pre PT HD12 versions to be transferred without the hardware. There is an exception as in the post above but that's it.

Here's a link to the revised policy. It is about hardware and software.
Pro Tools HD Software* and Systems. See the 2 bullet points.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fi...ent_1__Body__s

Last edited by mudgel; 11-20-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 PM

You CAN buy PT 12 HD second hand from somebody that has PT 11 HD (and upgraded via CPTK):

The seller must be a registered owner of both Pro Tools HD software AND a Pro Tools HD core system (HD TDM, HDX, HD Native, or an
HD Native Thunderbolt) and is transferring ownership of BOTH the core and Pro Tools HD software.**

• Or, the seller must be a registered owner of Pro Tools and Complete Production Toolkit that was upgraded to Pro Tools HD 11.

If one of the two above eligibility requirements is met, then follow the below steps:
1. If you do currently not have an active Avid Support Code, complete an order on the Avid store for an Avid Support Code: Pro Tools HD for
$79.95 (limit of 5 HD license bundles per ASC).
2. Complete this transfer of ownership form and attach it to an ASC support case at http://avid.force.com/ASC.
3. As the seller, you MUST deactivate all listed licenses from an iLok key so that they are in the account only.
4. Avid will send a confirmation e-mail to both the seller and the buyer when the transaction is completed.