Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:56 PM

Default Re: DigiLink I/O thing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Why are you not just call up your dealer and work out with them how to do what you need? as is clear from the mess already in this thread the answer depends on *exactly* what you are purchasing/upgrading.
Well my questions were also more round about, as in, not just for me. For instance about the confusion if the interfaces won't work period even if not trying to use the ports. Plus the way I like answers, I will be honest, no dealer truly knows. They all suck. I'll talk to some teen that don't know jack about anything and just wants to make sales. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are asking questions about stuff that happened and impacted most users here years ago, has been widely discussed on DUC... you should be able to find answers to just about any question yourself by searching for those past threads. not like a lot of folks here were not as annoyed and confused about this as you were... we sure were :-(
Very true, but I did search and no one asked the questions exactly as I did so I wasn't getting clear answers that way.

Now I figure this thread will help others, as its more clear about the things that do matter. (option to buy Ultimate and use with a 3rd party converter WITHOUT using the digilink port, if so track limitation, etc..) I never seen that clearly answered before this thread.

Also, dealers are almost just as confused as this info is so mysterious on the web. No where on Avid site or on the web is it extremely clear on the subjects I asked.

So I hope this thread helps someone else just as confused as I.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Yes, but the truly disgusting part here (and my point to it) is Avid has charged and got over 100k per company that integrates these ports into their interfaces from the company themselves to be able to use the patented ports in their design.

So wouldn't you agree that there was enough ? I mean they still are selling their software to the user, which in the price alone is already enough to make up for that. To me its just a triple slap in the face to us that want to utilize the physical outs on superior conversion.
Disgusting?

It is Avid proprietary port so many could say it was "disgusting" when before the digilink license 3rd party vendors could reverse-engineer the port and make money out of someone else's intellectual property. I think it is just fair it is licensed now.

Don't get confused here. User who pays for software has not paid anything for the hardware yet. Now if user buys hardware from Avid of course they give the user proper license to get it running. Do they have to do it for 3rd party hardware? No.

Would it be distusting for you if the band you mixed took your session to another studio and recorded another album, then just used your mix settings to release their stuff?
Old 01-23-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
option to buy Ultimate and use with a 3rd party converter WITHOUT using the digilink port
Yes, if you buy the PTU software you have this option to use 3rd party hardware with the limitation of 32 i/o max. The only way to get more i/o is having that DigiLink license on your iLok key, because you need either HDN or HDX that have the digilinks.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Disgusting?

It is Avid proprietary port so many could say it was "disgusting" when before the digilink license 3rd party vendors could reverse-engineer the port and make money out of someone else's intellectual property. I think it is just fair it is licensed now.
You're forgetting them 3rd party venders PAID Avid over 100k to do the "reverse engineer" you speak of. So they weren't making no money until they covered 100k in sales. Thats why only a few companies do it. The others denied Avid.

That 100k WAS the licensing fee. And not to mention the extra cost of the software that is capable of that extra I/O as it advertises. Why should the customer have to pay where the 3rd party vender did already ?

Quote:
Don't get confused here. User who pays for software has not paid anything for the hardware yet.
But we did pay for the ability of them extra physical outs. This is what that software was for me. I never cared about the features. Always justified the extra cost of the software to the extra I/O it offered.

To then double charge me, is just not correct IMO. You obviously have another opinion though, and I respect that.

Quote:
Would it be distusting for you if the band you mixed took your session to another studio and recorded another album, then just used your mix settings to release their stuff?
I absolutely would not care. When someone purchases something from me (like that), the parameters, settings, etc.. it's theirs. IDC. I'm not into the get paid twice for the same thing concept. This is a bad analogy though, so I'll give you a break on that. I get what you're saying though. But this license for physical I/O thing is not similar at all IMO
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 01-23-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
...The Digilink License is not included in ANYTHING they sell...
A Pro Tools DigiLink I/O license is included with new Avid HD interfaces as well as in the bundles for Pro Tools Ultimate Reinstatements and Pro Tools Ultimate Subscription Crossgrades. It was also in the bundle we provided to all perpetual license owners with a current Pro Tools HD Update + Support Plan back in Sept 2016 when the licenses changed for version 12.6.
Quote:
...Avid has charged and got over 100k per company that integrates these ports into their interfaces from the company themselves to be able to use the patented ports in their design...
I don't believe that's true, but will triple check with our Dev group. Curious... where did that info come from?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Long time user. Been using TDM to HD Accel 3, etc.. Last few years been temporarily using Pro Tools normal (12- 2019.whatever, etc..)
As a long time user of TDM, HD Accel etc. it is possible Avid gave you a free Digilink license, as they did for all eligible users when they introduced the license requirement.

It's worth checking your iLok licences in case you already have it.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:49 AM

Thanks Jeffro for jumping in with the info reg Ultimate :-:

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
A Pro Tools DigiLink I/O license is included with new Avid HD interfaces as well as in the bundles for Pro Tools Ultimate Reinstatements and Pro Tools Ultimate Subscription Crossgrades. It was also in the bundle we provided to all perpetual license owners with a current Pro Tools HD Update + Support Plan back in Sept 2016 when the licenses changed for version 12.6.

I don't believe that's true, but will triple check with our Dev group. Curious... where did that info come from?
From Prism, Apogee and also at AES when I forget who, but was either Dan, Josh or the Antelope's guys said he/they looked into incorporating it and was told thats what it takes. So from all 3 sides, coincided. Avid charges a hefty charge for a interface developer to incorporate the port.

Which to me IS understandable. And I agree with this charge. This is what makes sense. Charge them, they are making the money off the hardware, not me. What doesn't make sense to to charge the customer in the end for it, three times, 3 different ways. Once for the software which is where the inflated price is justified (extra I/O capabilities), but then again with the HDX card, which again is justified cause thats the hardware (extra I/O capabilities). BUT they do not need to charge us 1 penny more if we decide to use another interface because we already paid to get the I/O in the software price and Card price.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 01-24-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
As a long time user of TDM, HD Accel etc. it is possible Avid gave you a free Digilink license, as they did for all eligible users when they introduced the license requirement.

It's worth checking your iLok licences in case you already have it.
This could be true, THANKS !! I will check. What does it look like ?

But the point of this thread wasn't just to help me. (though I appreciate all the help guys !) - Something needs to be said and done about this new age motto that you can just keep charging me $1 every second for everything I do.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
BUT they do not need to charge us 1 penny more if we decide to use another interface because we already paid to get the I/O in the software price and Card price.
Unfortunately, the end user having a license is the only way to stop unlicensed hardware from being used. Of course 3rd party vendor could compensate it by lowering prices.

This is just 101 course on competition; Avid has the interface it controls, sells interfaces and others sell compatible interfaces, so Avid is just securing their ability to compete.

If a better quality 3rd party interface plus digilink license price is less than Avid interface with digilink license included then by all means buy the better option.