Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Default trying to make PT10 work properly

When PT 11 arrived with its new plugin format and its subscription payment regimen, I realized it would likely cost me a few thousand dollars simply to upgrade. Now semi-retired after a career of music production, I decided firstly, not to find a new DAW, but to try to keep what I already had since PT 10 was doing everything I needed, and I had absolutely no use for the new features of PT 11. What could go wrong?

But I made a mistake. I let Apple automatically install my OS, and one night when it upgraded from OS 9 to 10, I suddenly lost some functionality within PT. I've read all about these issues here, such as the incredible annoyance of menus that don't show up unless you scroll them, and an occasional plugin message that clogs up the screen but can't be deleted, and necessitates a reload of PT. I disabled this automatic OS install feature, when I learned that PT 10 works hardly at all under OS 11. These companies get you coming and going.

I haven't used PT since last fall. This morning i decided to start a new recording project. And after an hour of scrolling all my menus just to view them, I realize I can live with this problem if necessary. However, I am writing here, in the hope that someone can tell me how to get PT 10 to work properly. It's hard to believe that Avid wouldn't bow to its users demands to fix this rather straightforward coding problem.

Here's a bit more pertinent information. In my initial effort to get my menus back, I successfully installed OS 10.8 onto a second internal hard drive, and then installed a second copy of PT 10 onto this same drive. Indeed, the menus are back, and PT works fine again with one critical caveat. I may be missing something essential, but so far I can't get this second version of PT 10 to access any of my many expensive plugins which remain on my usual startup drive. If that is possible to fix, then that is the best solution for me. Unfortunately, I now strongly suspect that PT 10 needs all its plugins installed on the same PT drive. Also unfortunately, in most cases I can't simply reinstall my plugins, because several of them are more recent downloaded iterations from original CD purchase. But the original CD was meant for some earlier version of PT, and won't install onto PT 10.

To conclude, right now I have 2 hard drives. One has PT 10, OS 10.10, and all my plugins including Reaktor, Ozone, Ableton, Melodyne, etc. The second hard drive has PT 10, OS 10.8, and no plugins.

any advice is much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Default Re: trying to make PT10 work properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1 View Post
When PT 11 arrived with its new plugin format and its subscription payment regimen, I realized it would likely cost me a few thousand dollars simply to upgrade. Now semi-retired after a career of music production, I decided firstly, not to find a new DAW, but to try to keep what I already had since PT 10 was doing everything I needed, and I had absolutely no use for the new features of PT 11. What could go wrong?

But I made a mistake. I let Apple automatically install my OS, and one night when it upgraded from OS 9 to 10, I suddenly lost some functionality within PT. I've read all about these issues here, such as the incredible annoyance of menus that don't show up unless you scroll them, and an occasional plugin message that clogs up the screen but can't be deleted, and necessitates a reload of PT. I disabled this automatic OS install feature, when I learned that PT 10 works hardly at all under OS 11. These companies get you coming and going.

I haven't used PT since last fall. This morning i decided to start a new recording project. And after an hour of scrolling all my menus just to view them, I realize I can live with this problem if necessary. However, I am writing here, in the hope that someone can tell me how to get PT 10 to work properly. It's hard to believe that Avid wouldn't bow to its users demands to fix this rather straightforward coding problem.

Here's a bit more pertinent information. In my initial effort to get my menus back, I successfully installed OS 10.8 onto a second internal hard drive, and then installed a second copy of PT 10 onto this same drive. Indeed, the menus are back, and PT works fine again with one critical caveat. I may be missing something essential, but so far I can't get this second version of PT 10 to access any of my many expensive plugins which remain on my usual startup drive. If that is possible to fix, then that is the best solution for me. Unfortunately, I now strongly suspect that PT 10 needs all its plugins installed on the same PT drive. Also unfortunately, in most cases I can't simply reinstall my plugins, because several of them are more recent downloaded iterations from original CD purchase. But the original CD was meant for some earlier version of PT, and won't install onto PT 10.

To conclude, right now I have 2 hard drives. One has PT 10, OS 10.10, and all my plugins including Reaktor, Ozone, Ableton, Melodyne, etc. The second hard drive has PT 10, OS 10.8, and no plugins.

any advice is much appreciated.
Strictly speaking plugins do not install onto PT10 but your computer. You should be able to reinstall your plugins; some plugin updates are full installers so you won't need the original installs. What you do need is to have plugins that support RTAS and/or aax32 format. - that's all. So it's possible to use your second drive with Mountain Lion on it. I actually have split my system drive and have both OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5 and both PT10.3.10 and PT11.3.1 and they work just fine. You do need to though, as you surmised, have the plugins installed on the system drive you're booting and running PT from. Do not use Migration Assassin (Assisstant) to do the job.

NI plugins might be a problem as the later updates removed RTAS support. Older installer should be available in your NI user account. I don't know if NI aax is both aax32 and aax64 support or not but you'd need aax32.

Finally hopefully you've learned your lesson and not to let automatic updates happen on your system. I don't know how you let that happen as it's a manual process to allow the update to happen (at least it is on my systems). Also hopefully you've learned to always have a backup of your system drive so when if (not if but when) stuff like this happens you'll at least have a working system to fall back on. The two best insurances you can have are a clone of your system drive and iLok ZDT coverage.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-04-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 PM

What he said. Just re-install your plugins on the second drive. They will, for sure, show up in Pro Tools. It will work.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Hey guys, many thanks for your help. I mostly needed to hear from someone with more experience than me, if my idea of reloading 2nd copies of old plugins onto an old PT installed on a newly partitioned drive was going to work, before I started the long process of actually doing it.

With newly gained confidence, i spent a few hours today reinstalling plugins. They ALL worked. The easest one was Avid's own drum machine, STRIKE. It comes with a little utility that lives in the same folder as the installed program. I started the utility from a different drive and a different OS, but still, bingo, Strike immediately shows up in the newly installed PT with all 16 gb of drum patterns.

Tonight I'll take my wife out for an expensive dinner, to celebrate all the money I save by not "upgrading" from RTAS and onto Avid's new subscription regimen.