Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM

Default Impossible for me to buy protools 12 online

I have owned Protools for 20 years. Over the past month I have tried four different times to buy, online, a protools 12 upgrade. Each time I get the same response. First I order the upgrade, then I add a new ilok key to buy, then I fill in some basic info about myself and your website recognizes me as already having an account. Next, I arrive at a page called "address and validation". But at that point a little wheel starts spinning on the page. I am unable to proceed. After five minutes the wheel stops and I am informed to start over. In other words, Avid doesn't have my sale, and I can't upgrade to Protools 12. Today I tried calling Avid to find out what was happening, and maybe you could take my order by phone. No such luck. I called 800 949 AVID, and went through the phone tree to finally talk to some guy with a very bad phone connection. He told me he was the guy I wanted to talk to, so we proceeded. He first told me that, yes, other people besides myself have been unable to get through the online upgrade process. He then asked for my name and phone, and my info came up on his computer screen. He told me to hold on, because he wanted to transfer me to online sales. I waited a few minutes but the phone went blank followed by my own buzz tone.

Avid, how do I buy an upgrade? I don't know to do it. I am no longer willing to keep trying by punching in the same info on your upgrade website. Sincerely, it doesn't lead me anywhere.

If someone on your side is reading this message, is it too much to ask to ask someone in sales to call me so I can upgrade to Protools 12? My name is Jim Nollman. You have my phone because, indeed, I do have an active Avid account. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I hope you take this letter as a signal that you need to do a little repair work on your upgrade website. And on your phone tree as well.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Impossible for me to buy protools 12 online

Sorry to hear that. I have sent a message up the chain.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:31 PM

If, by chance, you're on a Mac, I had to switch to Chrome to get it to work. Safari timed out, every time. FYI
MSI GTX 1080ti Armor
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (system drive)
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD (sample drive)
MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB M.2 (work drive)
2 HGST Ultrastar 4TB drives (backup)
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM

actually, there's one other thing that happened during this process that someone at Avid may find worth fixing.

1. During one of my four unsuccessful attempts to purchase Protools 12 online. soon after I was led to the 'address and validation' page, a new page suddenly opened up over the purchase page. This new page was an advert for some 3rd party company that (I seem to recall) does online acoustic consulting. I clicked on my browser's back button to get back to the purchase process, but I was unable to get back to the Avid page and had to start over. What is that?

To answer the response (above) about Chrome...it is true, I have only tried to buy Protools using Safari. So i have to download a new browser to buy Protools? Sounds sketchy.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1 View Post
Sounds sketchy.

If there isn't a high enough percentage of user using a certain browser, a lot of company will not push the compatibility when creating and/or updating their websites.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Oh I see. Avid regards Apple's Safari to be A second class browser? Who knew?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:48 AM

for anyone here who may be interested on how my sincere plea to Avid sales has progressed.

The news is not good. No one from Avid sales has called me yet. However, someone from Avid has read this thread, and sent my name and a description of the problem to Avid sales support.

Somebody from sales support has emailed me 3 times in the past 24 hours, asking questions about my system, apparently very concerned with fixing their website and not at all about selling me a copy of 12. In the most current email the support person actually recommended that i try to buy Protools using a windows computer via Chrome. I am not making this up.

Such a reply from Avid renews my long held suspicion that I need to act with caution when dealing with the company, because, increasingly, their sales strategy demonstrates little empathy for their user base.

To be honest about my situation, my current desire to buy Protools 12, is 100% based on the fact that my installed version of Protools 10 stopped working well when I upgraded to Mavericks. I soon noticed that PT 10 still worked OK, but that the menus stopped showing onscreen without some extra mouse work. When I asked Avid when they planned to release an upgrade that fixed this seemingly trivial mouse issue, they responded by telling me to pay a not insignificant fee to upgrade to 11.

I am a guy who us slowly inching towards retirement, and i don't use Protools as actively as i once did. Certainly, I would have bought 12 yesterday if their website had let me do so, or if their sales staff's subsequent actions had helped me do so. But now that i can't find any easy way to upgrade, I am realizing that every problem is also an opportunity.

In this case, what I really want to do now is get off the Apple/Avid merry-go-round that always makes me spend money for inevitable Protools upgrades every time Apple upgrades its OS.

Having said that, I do need a working copy of Protools. However, I mostly need it these days to be able to read 20 years of accumulated Protools work files. So rather than spend $200 a year as Avid is now demanding for 12, I will research if/how I can downgrade the Mac OS to Mountain Lion (10.8) which will then let me continue using my perfectly capable installed version of PT 10.

Last edited by oreo1; 11-13-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 AM

What's with this page?
http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...03&&store=shop

It' all fine print and doesn't work half the time.
At this point, I won't do anything until Avid gets sorted out.

If they can't get a web page to work reliably, how will cloud collaboration happen?

That's the real reason they have PT First... to get the online thing working.
I just wish they would be more honest with us.