Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Re: anyone using Protools on an SSD?

Good idea to try it with a brand new session. i tried it two ways, first, setting up the new session on my document disk, and then second, setting it up on my app disc. Both times it took 2:30. Grrr.

This morning, i also uninstalled PT (using the uninstall program), and then reinstalled, first with my 9.05 version, then upgraded to PT 10.

Nothing has changed. Pleas keep the troubleshooting ideas a-coming. I'm out of ideas.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 PM

I have an SSD for my boot drive in my macpro and my macbook pro. None of my session take that long to open. (all recording sessions are on separate drives.) maybe your session hard drive is going bad. I replace my recording drives every 8-16 months b/c I'd rather not wait for a hard drive to crash. Drives are so cheap nowadays, it makes sense for me to just spend <$100 for a fresh drive and use the older drives for manual backup drives. I would recommend the following:

1) Try a defrag of your recording drive
2) Try verify disk under Disk Utility
3) Try putting a session on an external FW drive and see if that changes your load times.

I realize it's a new machine but maybe you just got a bum drive.
MacPro 5,1: 12-core 2.93 GHz 48GB RAM OS X 10.12.2 | Pro Tools HDNative 12.7.1 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Diamond | Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock
Old 11-05-2011, 02:54 PM

I've done #2-3 as you suggest. Didn't change anything. Not sure how to defrag a mac drive, and why it would necessary on brand new machine. I've always thought that the OS does that in the background.

There is another thread here, of another guy with the same issue:

Fast PT program load time. Slow PT session load time.

One respondent suggests he trash all his plugin preference files. I asked avid tech support about that. They told me the plugins load during the program load, so that shouldn't be an issue during a session load. I use lots of plugins, and haven't run across any that don't work correctly.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Not all SSD's are equal.

I run two rigs from SSD's, one is an OWC, and one is an OCZ, both are fine, but both are top-notch brands.

Also good are Intel (their top of the line models), and Crucial.

There are several brands however which are effectively SD cards in a 2.5" housing, and have appalling data transfer rates.

If you are running a decent SSD drive, you should be seeing load times of approx 5-10 times quicker than from an equivalent 7200RPM drive.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 PM

do you think Apple would ship their top-of-the-line i7 imac, with an Apple brand SSD that's sub-standard? Doesn't make sense. Especially after reading that this particular imac is the fastest computer Apple has ever made, primarily BECAUSE of the SSD. That's from a MacWorld review.

The best test I see occurs every time i start my mac in the morning, its ready to go 15-20 seconds after pushing the "on" button.

I read something the other day about this SSD on a Mac forum. Folks using software that is "multi-threaded (the example used was Acorn) are having long load times for sessions, although not for program loads. I don't know enough about the process of multi-threading to explain it, but maybe that's what is going on for me and three or four others having abominably slow load times with PT and Lion. Is PT multi-threaded?

So far, PT tech support hasn't offered anything I haven't already tried.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:22 AM

If the SSD is your boot drive and your sessions are on a separate platter drive, the SSD shouldn't be the problem.

Are your pro tools sessions on the boot drive (SSD)? I know that's not supported even though it works for some people.
MacPro 5,1: 12-core 2.93 GHz 48GB RAM OS X 10.12.2 | Pro Tools HDNative 12.7.1 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Diamond | Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 AM

SSD is the boot drive and holds the PT app. All my sessions are on an internal 2 Tb SATA drive. Both drives came installed from the Apple factory.

As i say, these drive locations are the same for all apps and all sessions on my computer. Everything from Photoshop to Logic to Final Cut to Filemaker Pro to Adobe Audition to Izotope RX all load their sessions very quickly. I mean they load within seconds, even for a multi-gb Photoshop image.

Nothing else on my computer takes anywhere near as long as the 2':30" it takes to load ANY PT session, whether it's a new session, a template, or an older session. It doesn't matter what kind of session it is.

Every PT session I load exhibits basically the same lags. The PT screen messages stream by very quickly, but then get stopped dead when it shows "loading mix window", (about 40 seconds) then starts again, but soon stops even longer when it says "loading transport window" (over a minute). That's the last message until the screen pops up, all ready to work. Both working in sessions and saving sessions is very fast, and i have had no problems whatsoever, since installing PT 10.

Another user on another thread here, has told me that he had the same problem I describe here. Like me, he tried every troubleshooting trick offered by Avid tech support. Finally, he decided to do something drastic. He uninstalled Lion and installed Snow Leopard. Once accomplished, his session-load problem went away completely.

I'm not ready to ditch Lion yet, since it would be a monumental hassle. I already have too much new software on my box that's optimized for Lion.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Did you ever try hooking up a Firewire drive just to see if running the session from that was any different?

Or (I know this is a hassle) use an external drive to make an alternate startup disk, and install an OS and ProTools on it. (No plug installs). Just to see if there's any different with session opening times--(?)

You need to take some broader stroke steps just to eliminate any issues with your basic configuration....Do all the usual stuff like disconnecting any other peripherals like printers or other interfaces.

I'm also reviewing your thread and not seeing what audio interface you're using. Maybe PT has an issue with the driver if it's 3rd party.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

My audio interface is a Digi02 rack. I have the latest driver.

Yes, I have tried loading sessions off an external firewire drive. I get the same 2:30 lag time while loading them.

I do have Snow Leopard already loaded on thats same firewire drive. Maybe I'm missing something simple, but i can't see any EASY way to load a separate version of PT onto the drive, without uninstalling PT from my main system.

Here's how I feel about it. My problem with trying some of these very time-consuming troubleshooting steps may seem whimpy and counterproductive to some, but I'm a working guy,. Waiting 2:30 to load a session, and doing that 3 or 4 times a day is a drag, but its a much more palatable choice for me than spending a whole day or two hassling with the very drastic troubleshooting step of uninstalling Lion then reloading Snow Leopard, or the other recommendation of uninstalling PT and then installing it on a new drive. Truth is, the firewire drive is a great backup, but it's way to slow to get any real work accomplished.

I have dutifully tried every trick that tech support suggests except for the two major ones above. Altogether, what i have done has already taken 5 or 6 hours of my time. I have also talked to a tech support guy about this specific problem for half an hour. Once i assured him I'd tried every trick in their troubleshooting knowledgebase besides the two biggies, he had nothing to suggest. He wouldn't come right and say that the problem has anything to do with Protools itself, or specifically, the way Protools interacts with my brand new, top-of-the-line SSD/Lion iMac. But he did agree with me that the SSD and Lion combo seems a likely place to explore.

A few other things worth stating. The tech support guy promised to follow up with me after discussing it with his own senior tech guy. He hasn't called or emailed now that a week has gone by. That's one reason I started this thread. The other reason I started it, is I'm hoping to hear from any other users with a similar problem. Maybe someone else had the problem, and actually figured out some novel way to fix it.

Actually, one guy did have a solution. He uninstalled Lion for Snow Leopard. Everything loaded normally after that. I interpret that as another way of saying that Apple and Avid need to work it out. How do any of you interpret that?

One last thing. I read something that seemed related to my problem on the Apple Forum. It was a discussion of a bug in the way several different applications hang for long periods of time while loading sessions in Lion because of some multi-threading problem. Not every system showed this loading lag. One company, Acorn, took it to heart, and within a week had fixed the bug.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM

It sounds like you already did this, but I just now had a moment with Spotlight, so I thought I'd bring it up. Make sure it's disabled on your media drive. My issue with disabling Spotlight on a drive is that it also seems to disable any "find" function for that drive.

I've had good luck in the past with an app called "Spotless".

http://www.fixamacsoftware.com

What it has done for me is somehow it lets me perform regular searches while disabling the pesky background activity, as well as minimalizing the possibility of corrupt index files fouling the whole system up.