Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2002, 08:19 PM

Default Electric bass record.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Which the best way to record electric bass with DIGI001?
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2002, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Electric bass record.

What amp? What Cabs? What Bass? What Pickups? What Mic's? What Pre's? Are you going direct? What kind of song? Is he/she slapping? Fingers or pick? Info man we need info or else your not going to get detailed responses!! Too many variables! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2002, 12:02 AM

We generally run electric bass through a tube direct and tube compression.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:25 AM

I run my (cheap) bass through my guitar pod emulating a semi-clean tube preamp, and I got GREAT results. You can hear them on my song Everything We Knew, or also, for a slightly cleaner, sweeter sound on The Taste Of My Love (after the electronic intro, with the first verse.) .

But like Nine Spines mentioned, a detailed question will produce more detailed answers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

6am eternal
Old 01-21-2002, 02:29 AM

I'm playing my basses through my TLA preamp, the TLA is connected to the mixer (for more equing/leveling/routing possibilities) which is connected to the 001. It's OK. But I was getting greater results when playing my bass through my huge Marshall 100W Tube Amp. and recording the result with a mic. I've stopped doing this since it's a guitar amp.and it was ruinning it slowly but surely...too bad. If you have a good bass amp., I would highly recommend you try recording with a mic (it allows you to set your sound on the amp. itself, like you would do when using a preamp as the TLA I'm using, but you can also work on the sound by placing your mic. It kind of multiplies the possibilities by taking advantages of the accoustic).
Old 01-21-2002, 02:33 AM

I usually track bass direct (I use an old Whirlwind passive DI box) with a touch of compression (dbx 166 at 4:1 at a fairly high threshold)

If I want more color, I reamp or EQ or...

haven't yet tried Pod or any other amp simulators though, have been putting my euros into $$$ video hardware

- Sean
Old 01-21-2002, 05:36 AM

Hey Mr T, what flavor TL Audio's you got?

Sean, have you given a listen to your bass without the 166 inline? I find them to color the high end considerably. Just my 2 cents worth. (Hey I have one as well....)
Old 01-21-2002, 09:01 AM

I've got the Ivory serie Valve processor 5051. It's not the best sounding preamp-comp. unit I've ever heard (far from it in fact), but at the time I bought it, there were not many choices (at that price). You?...
Old 01-21-2002, 09:05 AM

Try an active DI like a Countryman into the mic pre. You'd be surprised at how many pro recordings were made just that simply.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:19 AM

I've got the gutar and bass pod, love them both. The bass pod sound great if ask me, i use a cheap overseas fender standard, and have achieved some great bass sounds. If your think about a modeler definately spring for a pod, the korg/digitech modeler/($100-$200 range) sound terrible.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator