How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Corrupted session? DSP issue

I have a major problem to solve.
I'm working on mixes for a project I want to release in a month.
The session I was doing last night was having some playback glitches but I was getting through it okay until I got to the last stage, treating the lead vocal.
I threw on a couple of plug-ins and managed to do a little tweaking before PT refused to play anymore. Computer restart didn't help at all.
The second I hit play on it now the error message comes up. Can't bounce it either.
I ended up having to import each block of tracks; acoustic guitars, electric guitars, etc.; each into it's own session to bounce separately and then put those wavs into another session just to listen to my work.
I don't think that process is gonna work so great getting a final mix together.

What's confusing is that this is the only session in the project giving me this problem.
I opened up another session I'd already been mixing on with a similar amount of plug-ins running and it plays just fine, no problems at all.
I even did a plug-in count and the problem session is actually running one less plug than the other.
I even considered that there are certain plugs that seem to draw more DSP than others, such as the Abbey Road plug-ins and, even there, it's a comparable amount of those in each.
The only difference is that the problem session has six more active audio tracks, but I can't imagine that being the problem on it's own.

One red flag is that when I imported the first block of tracks into it's own session I got the error message again, but only once.
I've been using PT for a long time and I have had issues in the past with sessions that seemed to get corrupted somehow and I think I was able to get around that by creating a new session, exporting each audio file, and rebuilding the thing from scratch with the same plug-ins. But that was on older, slower machines.
It would be nice if there was some way I could correct this without the time-consuming process of rebuilding the session.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Corrupted session? DSP issue

Oh yeah:
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Sierra 10.12.6
And whatever the latest version of Pro Tools is
Old 07-11-2018, 06:27 PM

I figured I'd go ahead and post screen grabs of what I'm running. The first image is the problem session. The second one is the session I compared it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWF plugs.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IWUTYF plugs.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovilator View Post
... I have had issues in the past with sessions that seemed to get corrupted somehow and I think I was able to get around that by creating a new session, exporting each audio file, and rebuilding the thing from scratch with the same plug-ins...
1. Create a new session.
2. Import the first track of the corrupt session WITH its plugs. The command is called Import Session Data, and you will select the 1st track only, and include the audio, the plugs, routing etc. Make sure it plays. (If it does not play, import to another new session without its plugs).
3. Save session as "Song import track 1".
4. Into this session, import the 2nd track incl plugs, make sure it plays, save as "Song import Track 2".
5. Rinse and repeat.

It will take a while, but you will find the corrupt data and/or corrupt plug. Just go slow.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovilator View Post
Sierra 10.12.6
And whatever the latest version of Pro Tools is
Find out what exact PT version you have, and make sure it's compatible with your exact OS version. Make sure ALL (yes - check each one!!!) of your plugs are up-to-date AND compatible. You're gonna have to roll up your sleeves and troubleshoot until you find the issue.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-11-2018, 07:54 PM

You kind of left out an important detail: what error message? in exact, word for word terms. or a screenshot.

What is your system usage (find the window in Pro Tools that gives you that) when things go wrong?

You are using a pretty weak laptop... that may be just your issue. Out of processor ability.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 AM

You're right, I should have included the actual error message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (98.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:29 AM

It says PT ran out of CPU power and I should try removing plug-ins.
That's the part that confuses me, and why I went to the trouble of counting plug-ins on a similar session. Because both sessions are, presumably, drawing the same amount of power, but one plays and the other doesn't.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You are using a pretty weak laptop... that may be just your issue. Out of processor ability.
According to Avid's system requirements, my laptop meets the exact specifications. Shouldn't be a problem there.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Find out what exact PT version you have, and make sure it's compatible with your exact OS version. Make sure ALL (yes - check each one!!!) of your plugs are up-to-date AND compatible. You're gonna have to roll up your sleeves and troubleshoot until you find the issue.
I've covered all that. It's all up to spec as far as I can tell.