How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Default Pro Tools 11HD = FAULTY

DEAR AVID,

I have had at least the last 3 years of struggling with your platform doing everything from buying new machines (3 in fact) to trying more than 10 times installing onto brand new drives to troubleshooting like you wouldn't believe to simply try and have a system that WORKS without crashing on startup, randomly crashing in the middle of sessions, making weird noises because of -9173 errors, randomly losing audio from sessions, not playing back video properly, infact all in all being the most frustrating period of my life making music period... actually i use that term "making music" very loosely because when i come into the studio now (which is at least 2 hours prior to any paid sessions just to ensure i have the machine working) i spend hours just troubleshooting a different random problem EVERY DAY.. On machines that load Logic, DP, Ableton and do day to day email etc PERFECTLY WITHOUT Interruption.

It often takes 3 or 4 times to load a previously used session. Or i have to load it without plugins and then instantiate them manually in the hope they will work without crashing... This will happen in a sense that i try loading a session - crash on load.... try again... crash on load... third time it might load no problem and work for hours... then i'll save, have lunch and the same thing happens again to get it going... No logical reason for this to happen, Pro Tools feels like a plastic toy that i always expect to crash... I remember when the feeling with TDM and HD7 was like rock solid, no worry of crashing, in fact i almost forgot what a crash was! i would work 10 hours straight without even worrying about saving... now i think about it every 2 minutes and sometimes press save while playing, what a mistake that is ! That also results in loud noise and crashing.

It is without doubt now the most unprofessional, useless and time wasting product i have used in 20 years of producing... I refer to every release of HD11 up until now 11.2.2 .. Pro Tools 10 also had more potholes in the road to having stability than i ever recall a previous release having and it too was flaky until 10.3.7 where i found a little breather from the everyday troubleshooting.. What a shame i "upgraded" to 10.3.9 only to find i couldn't work anymore with a bug that's still not fixed (Input Monitoring)

I hope sincerely you will respond and perhaps lead me to finding exactly how i get to use this product minus the entertainment of watching it flip out.

Warm Regards

Mathew
Old 11-21-2014, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11HD = FAULTY

I've been using it 11 hd since it came out, daily. Might you post a sandra report please so we can see if we can help you?

Wave-T.com
Old 11-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Hi Emcha,

I use a Mac, isn't Sandra only on PC?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 PM

and maybe they'll fix the midi ADC drift in VI's as well....

one can only hope
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 PM

Don't worry, Pay them 599 and they will fix all your problems, they promise!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 PM

you mentioned Save while playing and then a loud noise and crash.

Do you happen to use the air virtual interments... Velvet, Loom, Teansfuzer, Hybrid, Vaccume Pro??

These did that same thing to me so I removed them. Structure seems ok.

Anyway I'm not on HDX, but HD software, mac. and that particular issue plaqued me big time.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:17 PM

Thanks Barry, that's a very interesting path i will look into as Tony Carridi said we can see how they deliver and make a decision :)

Meanwhile, when AVID do get the fair chance to respond (after the weekend presumably) i will be more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt, i have been wrong before (on the rare occasion lol) and i hope moreso that i am in this case and can get to working without constant interruption of flow.

I look forward to hearing from you AVID.

Thankyou
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 PM

Hey Shifted,

yeah i do use AIR Loom..sometimes. not the others..
hmmm...i'll take them out...

thanks
Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
crash on load.... try again... crash on load...
This tells me some of your plugins is causing your trouble.

First, move all non-Avid plugins to unused folder and see if the trouble goes away. Quick and easy way of making sure it is some 3rd party plugin that is the culprit.

Second, move 3rd party plugins back one vendor a time. This is a perfect time to organize the plugs into subfolders, too :)

You will know which company gives you the trouble, because if it's a bad plug the problems should appear as soon as you move it back.

Then, once you know that Vendor X is the trouble, do the same for all of that vendor's plugins; move them away and put back one at a time.

This way you will know who to blame (and could very well contact that vendor and politely ask them to fix the product)...
Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
you mentioned Save while playing and then a loud noise and crash.

Do you happen to use the air virtual interments... Velvet, Loom, Teansfuzer, Hybrid, Vaccume Pro??

These did that same thing to me so I removed them. Structure seems ok.

Anyway I'm not on HDX, but HD software, mac. and that particular issue plaqued me big time.
I have written on this before...a lot of people chose to argue. But I'll put it out there again, do it, don't do it, your choice...

Trying to save while the transport is running is not good practice.

You have a hard drive recording or playing back, then you tell it STOP! DO THIS HIGH PRIORITY TASK INSTEAD!

And you're surprised that you have problems?

I'm not interested in hearing about anyone's workflow...it doesn't matter to the disk drive. I don't want to hear about someone not having problems...sometimes you get lucky.

If your workflow doesn't include "Stop, then Save", you are creating the possibility of a problem.

Take your pick...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh