Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2002, 09:19 AM

Default Quested F11

Hello Everyone.

Before you all tear into me for posting a question about studio monitors, a discussion that I agree has been exhausted on this forum, let me plea my case. After an extensive SEARCH of the DUC, I've found nothing pertaining to these monitors. I am particularly interested in how these speakers compare to 1029's.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Quested F11
Old 10-24-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Quested F11

the ONLY way to truly answer this is to get a pair of both in your studio to evaluate for a while. Talk to your friendly dealer about getting some demo pairs, or contact the distributors directly.

-dave
Old 10-24-2002, 01:23 PM

We A/B'd those two pairs of speakers for a smalliish ProTools room in our facility in which my partner composes for TV spots. For our situation the F11s were clearly preferable. Tighter bottom, less woofy, overall nicer to listen to, and seemingly more accurate, based on the totally unscientific process of listening to CDs we figured we knew the sound of pretty well.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:13 PM

We A/B'd those two pairs of speakers for a smalliish ProTools room in our facility in which my partner composes for TV spots. For our situation the F11s were clearly preferable. Tighter bottom, less woofy, overall nicer to listen to, and seemingly more accurate, based on the totally unscientific process of listening to CDs we figured we knew the sound of pretty well.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:47 PM

We use four F11's for surround speakers to complement larger Questeds. Before hanging them, we put them up as near fields (very near fields). The bass end was VERY tight, kinda agressive. The bottom end felt "up front." FWIW, the Quested USA rep has been very good to us. You should be able to get a pair for evaluation, if there's not dealer near you OR they will get an evaluation pair to your nearest dealer. They can REALLY crank out some volume. At AES, Quested was showing a new smaller nearfield pair; don't remember the model number.

j
Old 10-24-2002, 08:10 PM

Thanks for your responses. I've had a hard time finding information regarding the Questeds, and getting a hand on a pair to evaluate has proven to be quite difficult to say the least. Although I have not yet exhausted all avenues, I will definately make sure to take a listen to both sets before I make a final decision (of course).

John A, it's great to hear you've already gone through this process and I'll remember your endorsement.

John M, perhaps the model you're referring to are the F5's? There's no mention of this monitor on the Quested site, but I did find this:

THIS IS A pdf document. FAIR WARNING.

http://www.sarkamainos.com/sarkapro/Quested_F5_F19.pdf

I'm considering throwing these into the equation too.

Anyone else having anything to add about Quested near field monitors, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 08:36 PM

I've had a pair of Quested, don't remember the model but I think is a 8 inches woof and a dome tweet with curved metal wires protecting the tweets. Foward Mids, thight bottom(not deep) well contoured highs( not overly bright but... a little lean in the lower end) a bit expensive but good and quite precise.

Then listened LSR28P(JBL), deeper bass, wider stage(wide tweeter dispersion)deep stage but a bit less revealing in the mids(but by little) maybe due to the more loud/efficient bigger woofer and deep bass. Bass is tight but with the JBL signature.

Well I bought the JBL's because I know more what happens in the bass region, they are more powerful and cheaper ... and I'm used to the JBL sound and how to translate it to the outer world. For me they are "predictable"

And I can beat them as loud as I can and they will resit to failure(one-and-a-half year and no prob.)

But this is a very personnal taste.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:38 PM

Nothing else compares no matter what price point !!! I can't say enough (good things) about Quested support here in the US, in my opinion this is the only Pro choice.

Good Luck
MMJ

[email protected]
Old 10-24-2002, 08:38 PM

Well I just went to Quested web site and... they were F11(self powered)

Jus for complete info of my previous post.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:43 PM

i dont know about the f11's, but i have had the bad luck of working at 2 places now that have had the vs2108's. luckily, at the first place, i was able to convince them to switch over to genelec 1031a's. the place i'm at now has both vs2108's and hq410's. i cant stand the vs2108's, and the bigger ones arent too impressive either. i think the low mids are way too boomy, and the higs are muffeled, which meand u gotta mix things with the high end sounding absent in the studio in order to get a mix that sounds right on regular speakers. i know lots of people like questeds, but i cant figure out why? from my past experience, i cant imagine the f11's sounding good at all. do yourself a favor, there was a suggestion earlier on in the thread. get the 1029's and a/b em to the f11's. dont buy questeds till you hear them. and once you hear them, you probably wont want them.