Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Default Analog Summing Mixers with Pro Tools

Hey everyone

Thought I'd try and get some feedback on summing mixers. I realize the subject of analog summing has been beaten to death, so forgive the rehash.

I'm an acoustic musician with a Pro Tools 003 Rack setup that has been totally modified by Black Lion Audio. I succeed at getting a well recorded Martin D-18 or D-28 sound during my initial tracking. And I always record through a Vintage Designs DMP, coupled with the Dramastic Obsidian, convert to digital using an Aurora Lynx and then into Pro Tools. I also use an external WORD clock, and slave my system to it.

But when I continue with multi-tracking other acoustic instruments (like mandolin, violin and piano) and then do in the box mixes, something is missing. Hence I graduated to "out of the box" analog summing (OTB). My signal chain is as follows: The digital stems (or busses) go out to an Aurora Lynx for conversion to analog, then into a Rolls RMS216 FOLCROM Passive Summing mixer. From there the two track mix goes into a Vintage Designs DMP 1073 clone pre-amp, and then into a Dramastic Obsidian compressor.

The overall 2-track OTB mix is way better than an in the box (ITB) mix, but I still lack that deep wide and spacious analog sound.

From an acoustic music standpoint, what are the gear slut cronies using in similar set-ups for summing mixers to achieve that deep and wide analog sound?

I'm thinking of an Inward Connections, InnerTube SumThang, the Phoenix Nicerizer, or the Shadow Hills Industries Equinox.

I realize this subject has been beaten to death, and some engineers still won't acknowledge the benefit of OTB analog summing. Any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Analog Summing Mixers with Pro Tools

I am planning to get a Dangerous D-Box in a few months and I am really looking forward to trying the analog summing.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Analog Summing Mixers with Pro Tools

This is just an opinion and I may be way off base, but I bet not too many people using PTLE are doing analog summing.

I am only suggesting this because you may get a better response by asking the question on the HD forums..