Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Default First time Xpand! user needs help...

Hello,

I'm trying to use Xpand! for the first time and cannot figure it out. I've checked the Xpand! manual and the PT manual and the PT plug Ins guide, etc. and I've searched this forum and another.

The question:

How do I get a signal from Xpand?

I'm using an M Audio Keystation 49e. I've used it with Reason and it works. PT seems to be recognizing it. I've opened Xpand! in Audio, Instrument and Aux tracks and I can see the Xpand! window. I've tried various bussing possibilities also. I hear nothing and see nothing on the meters.

I've been a musician my whole life, but I play an acoustic instrument...this computer stuff is a bit baffling to me.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: First time Xpand! user needs help...

I'm pretty new at this myself but this sequence as I understand it is this:

1. Open a stereo instrument track
2. Insert Xpand as a multi-channel plug-in
3. Select your instrument in Xpand and play (You should see signal on the stereo meters, even if you can't hear it.)
4. Make sure that fader for the track is at 0dB (Note that, when you open the track, it is set off by default)

I'm just wondering whether step 4 is your problem. I'm running an Axiom 61 without any problems (and believe me, I don't have a clue about this stuff....) You also obviously have to make sure that your mBox (or whatever you're using) has the volume and mix adjusted to send the signal to your monitors.

Apologies if your problem is more complex than this.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: First time Xpand! user needs help...

I had someone talk me through it and now it's working. Thanks for the response and thanks to anyone who even read my thread. It's good to know you folks are here!