Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 AM

Default How to create a template out of this?

Hello,

I have a song with a fairly good "everything" on it. Now I´d simply like to make a template out of it, to have all those AUX and input tracks ready with FX and stuff.

But:

1: When I open the session, it already has about 120 missing files it wants to search for. They aren´t needed but every time I open the session PTLE asks if I want to find or ignore them. I don´t want that "missing-files-thing" to be included in my fresh new template.

2: The session has one song and it starts at about bar -2008 or so. How do I make the template to start at bar one?

3: Is there an easy way to get rid of ALL the regions in the list without including them in the template? I´m not sure what I can delete without actually deleting some audio for good.

4: The session is in 48. I´d like my template to be in 44.1.

I know this is fairly simple but for some reason I´m stuck with this now. Thanks for any help, I have messed up with this session for a while, importing tracks etc and now I´d just like to clean it up but my brain is on strike.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Re: How to create a template out of this?

shut down the session and Command-D to copy it, put this copy into a new folder. Reboot the session and select all in the regions list then clear all making sure to select remove as opposed to delete in the window that comes up. this session is now empty and you can edit the start time, sample rate etc.

When you want to then use this new template always start a fresh session and import the tracks from the template rather than starting up the template and creating your session that way.

There are prob other ways but this works for me

HTH

Tom
Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
reboot the session and............

That should be 'start up the new copy you have made............'
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Hey Froggy,

thank you very much. It all worked fine.

My template is full of heavy plugins, ready for practically anything. Things changed a lot after jumping into the Dualcore-Wagon, these Athlons run very nice even when pushed hard. I do have to keep my buffer at the highest settings to open the template, after getting the template to run I can go back to 256 and do practically anything.

I like your nick, by the way. I got a frog tattoo instead of the ring when I got married.

- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 PM

You must save the empty session as stationery pad (file -> get info and than check "Stationery Pad"). Next time you open this session from PT (you must use file -> open session not just clicking the icon in the finder) it will ask you weather to edit this one or save as. Choose save as and you are done.

that simple
UAD-1 Flexi PACK
Old 04-21-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I like your nick, by the way. I got a frog tattoo instead of the ring when I got married.

Nice one

My nick taken from Blazing Saddles
Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Nice one

My nick taken from Blazing Saddles

Ha! Of course, hehe.

I have the DVD, maybe it´s time for it again. I´m trying to enjoy a day-off without doing a thing... difficult.

Back to the topic: I didn´t try the stationery pad method yet. Sounds simple. This is so funny, after getting the dualcore Athlon PTLE7 rig my basic demo template has expanded to about a dozen AUXes with reverbs and delays, preset drum,bass,vocal and gtr channels, in and out... a piano, some synths... huge amount of plugs ready just in case I need them. Gotta love - and hate- this new technology.

Why hate, I hear someone asking? I keep getting too many new ideas while toying with all this stuff -trying to finish tunes- so instead of getting one song done I often end up with five more new half-done tunes... aaarghh... too much inspiration, not enough concentration... just another manic phase, I guess.

Enter Red Wine, an acoustic guitar, paper and pen. And a larger-than-life headphone mix in a nice room with some nice mics and a wireless keyboard ready to press record in case something good comes out...

- PTLE8 on a macbook.