Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Default the best way to record electric guitar & bass

Whats the best way to record electric guitar & bass?

Mic the amps?
Run the line outputs on an amp head into the digidesign inputs?
Record guitar and bass pluged straight into the digidesign inputs adjusting clean sounds and distortion in there?

The answers im looking for are to best fit the guitar and bass sounds as rock/hard rock/screamo.
Some of the bands in which i record are inspired by senses fail, story of the year, the used, a static lullaby, underoath, ect. So im hoping to get a similar sound for them and my band.

My hardware is a digi002r with a behringer ultragain 8 lightpiped to it.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: the best way to record electric guitar & bass

I just recorded my first ever sesh, and I just plugged in to the box.....um...not gonna cut it for what you are looking for. I would definitly mic your amps if you want the same sound on your tracks as you do live. Do you have a good set up for that? you know like soud proofing and all that other stuff? I am just a beginner at recording but so far I have not found or at least heard of a plug in that can give me the sound I am looking for, my amp and stomp boxes are my sound you know? But like I said I am only a rookie, I am sure by the time I finish typing this (slow) you will have more than enough feedback to choose from! Good luck!

All you need is a bag and a sleepin bag mat

Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Definately stick a 57 on the guitar amp. That is an easy way, providing you have a good amp and a good guitar (not to mention the player). Spend a bunch of time playing around with tone and mic placement and either listening to the miked sound through monitors or headphones. An easy way to get guitar tracks more full is to have the guitarist double each part. If there is one guitarist panning them left and right to some degree makes it bigger (and leaves a hole for the bass). If there is multiple guitar tracks then you can be creative with panning. For bass, easiest thing to do would be to run it direct. Get a decent direct box (a Countryman Type 85 might be a relatively inexpensive way to start off). Could also mic an amp in addition to or instead of going direct. Experimenting is key.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:54 PM

idol, try searching the forum. lots of info.

will