Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-30-2002, 10:06 AM

Default voice-over eq

Mixing with those pesky under-collar lavs is a annoying - especially trying to mix material with a studio mic - other than the obvious of EQ to brighten it up - anybody have a plug-in or setting that helps with this?
thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Re: voice-over eq

I heard a SMPTE paper once by Holman that experimented with graphic EQ to "fix" the sound of lav mics. They took pink noise and flattened out the sound of a lav mic as it was being worn. It made the mic sound much better.

Try a 32 band parametric and see if that will help.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:52 PM

Default Re: voice-over eq

Hello Joe:

Another production sound bugaboo!!!
I always hated lavs.

One solution when all else fails is to record your new audio on a lav. You generally start a bit closer.

Also, I was curious to know if the Antares Microphone Modeler had lav models. That might get you close.

Of course, my last thought was a truly mad scientist concept.

Have your talent read as ADR to match the location lav. When you have a take that matches in timing and performance, sum the two and flip phase on the lav track, which would create a "difference" track. Take that "difference" track and set it against the studio take and flip phase on the "difference" track. What is left should be close to the sound of the lav.

OK OK I was joking about that last idea!!!

Good luck. (IMHO the Antares would be the best shot IF they have modeled lavs)

Best Regards