Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #371  
Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 AM
rpyrotech rpyrotech is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

I am still pretty unclear on a few basic questions which I don't think have been answered here. Any input on the following, anyone?

Is the $99 perpetual standard to subscription crossgrade an ongoing offer? Or does it expire at some point?
i.e. can I potentially take up this offer at a renewal date in the future? Or is it now or never?

Do we have an answer as to whether taking up the $99 sub offer would mean future renewals would also be at $99?
Obviously future price increases can't be ruled out, but is it $99 for one year only and then $299 thereafter as things stand? No clear statement about this as far as I can see..

Finally - has anyone actually taken the crossgrade offer? I can't see it as an option in my account.. Does it only appear when my support plan is expiring, or..?
Only options at the moment are renew support plan or go pay-monthly subscription at full price.

This is all fairly academic because I don't think I'm going to be giving up my perpetual license. But some clearer statements about it all would still be welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM
64GTOBOY's Avatar
64GTOBOY 64GTOBOY is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 738
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Answer to first question, it was implied in what I read that the 99 usd switch to sub is a limited time offer AT THIS TIME. AFAIK no info on whether it will be extended.

Second question : No. They have not given us any change dates, and apparently are still reviewing/deciding the future of stuff. So we wait.

Third question: I haven't heard of anyone doing so. The upgrade to Ultimate is a great price, however if you dont need the extra functionality, and add the yearly upgrade fees, it's not really a good option IMHO
__________________
Dell XPS 8900 i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 32 Gig Memory:Seagate 2 TB,1TB,4TB,500gb EVO OS Windows 7 Ultimate
PT 2019.6 Native through A&H Qu-32
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 AM
rpyrotech rpyrotech is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Thanks,
I also contacted support with these questions..



Quote:
The crossgrade from a perpetual license to a subscription license will be available on the Avid Store starting July 1st.
Since you will be moving to a subscription, the renewal price for that would be $299 whereas if you keep your perpetual license, the renewal price would be $199.


So crossgrades are available from July 1. No answer to my question about whether the offer is time limited, so still no idea if this is a permanent deal.

The second part is as I feared! So, taking a $99 crossgrade means you sell your perpetual license back to Avid for $200 for ONE YEAR ONLY. Then renew at $299.

Good grief.
Absolutely no chance.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 AM
gnjlee gnjlee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 190
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpyrotech View Post
So, taking a $99 crossgrade means you sell your perpetual license back to Avid for $200 for ONE YEAR ONLY. Then renew at $299.
.
That is rich...

Thanks for posting the info.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 AM
GuyPicks GuyPicks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 331
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

is Studio One a USA company???
__________________
System 1---------------------System 2
MacPro 5,1---------------------------Windows 10
2-CPUs-------------------------------i7-CPU
OS X 10.14--------------------------Pro Tools 2019.5 HD
PreSonus 1824c --------------------HDX / 192 Analog
Fader Port---------------------------2-24" monitors
NI S61mkII--------------------------32GB Ram
64GB Ram---------------------------4 internal Drives
5-Glyph Rack Drives----------------Presonus 192 Mobile
2-24" Monitors----------------------Nektar Impact LX88+
Glyph Raid 4
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM
seebee62 seebee62 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 31
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPicks View Post
is Studio One a USA company???

Founded and still based in Baton Rouge Louisiana as far as I know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 06-26-2019, 10:47 AM
GuyPicks GuyPicks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 331
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

__________________
System 1---------------------System 2
MacPro 5,1---------------------------Windows 10
2-CPUs-------------------------------i7-CPU
OS X 10.14--------------------------Pro Tools 2019.5 HD
PreSonus 1824c --------------------HDX / 192 Analog
Fader Port---------------------------2-24" monitors
NI S61mkII--------------------------32GB Ram
64GB Ram---------------------------4 internal Drives
5-Glyph Rack Drives----------------Presonus 192 Mobile
2-24" Monitors----------------------Nektar Impact LX88+
Glyph Raid 4
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Justin1524 Justin1524 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 618
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

The idea of giving up my perpetual license is a slap in the face. Let's break this down just for Pro Tools Standard. This is my actual order history, (yes you can see this in your Avid Acct!).

9/18/2015 - I paid $199 for Pro Tools Standard
8/22/2016 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
8/18/2017 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
8/31/2018 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
6/25/2019 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
Total paid for just Pro Tools Standard Perpetual to date: $595

Now let's look at my Pro Tools Ultimate investment. This one is harder to figure because I've owned it since 1998 when it was Pro Tools 4 or 5. But let's take it back to Pro Tools v9 circa 2010 and assume at that time it was worth $1000.

2010 - PT 9 $1000
2011 - upgrade to PT 10 - guess, I prob paid $300 to upgrade
2013 - upgrade to PT 11 - guess, I prob paid $300 to upgrade
2015 - upgrade to PT 12 - subscriptions start I paid $499
2016 - I paid $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
2017 - I paid $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
2018 - I paid $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
2019 - I will pay in Sept. $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.
Total cost for just Pro Tools Ultimate - $3,695

Total cost to use Pro Tools on 2 computers since 2011 (deduct $1000 for prior to 2011) = $3,290

Let's compare to Studio One Pro.
2011 - purchase version 2 - $149
2015 - upgrade to version 3 - $149
2018 - upgrade to version 4 - $149

Total investment in Studio One Pro to use on up to 5 computers since 2011
$447

Money down the drain using Pro Tools when I could've just used Studio One Pro: $2,843

Wow, I could've bought some really nice things with $2,843. I think Avid should send ME MONEY BACK. Good idea?
__________________
Justin
Admin
www.elevenrackpresets.com
Studio: 2010 Mac Pro Tower Intel Xeon 12 core 3.33 GHz, 64 GB macOS Mojave PCIe SSD 256GB Boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 | HD Native Card | Digi 192 Analog & 192 Digital Blue | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Waves DLI, Impact Server, Horizon, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 PM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,344
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
The idea of giving up my perpetual license is a slap in the face. Let's break this down just for Pro Tools Standard. This is my actual order history, (yes you can see this in your Avid Acct!).



9/18/2015 - I paid $199 for Pro Tools Standard

8/22/2016 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

8/18/2017 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

8/31/2018 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

6/25/2019 - I paid $99 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

Total paid for just Pro Tools Standard Perpetual to date: $595



Now let's look at my Pro Tools Ultimate investment. This one is harder to figure because I've owned it since 1998 when it was Pro Tools 4 or 5. But let's take it back to Pro Tools v9 circa 2010 and assume at that time it was worth $1000.



2010 - PT 9 $1000

2011 - upgrade to PT 10 - guess, I prob paid $300 to upgrade

2013 - upgrade to PT 11 - guess, I prob paid $300 to upgrade

2015 - upgrade to PT 12 - subscriptions start I paid $499

2016 - I paid $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

2017 - I paid $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

2018 - I paid $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

2019 - I will pay in Sept. $399 to renew my perpetual license for 1 yr.

Total cost for just Pro Tools Ultimate - $3,695



Total cost to use Pro Tools on 2 computers since 2011 (deduct $1000 for prior to 2011) = $3,290



Let's compare to Studio One Pro.

2011 - purchase version 2 - $149

2015 - upgrade to version 3 - $149

2018 - upgrade to version 4 - $149



Total investment in Studio One Pro to use on up to 5 computers since 2011

$447



Money down the drain using Pro Tools when I could've just used Studio One Pro: $2,843



Wow, I could've bought some really nice things with $2,843. I think Avid should send ME MONEY BACK. Good idea?
Yeah, I wouldn't blush for wanting my money back, it's not like I'm increasing the price of a deal that was closed a long time ago. I'm parking this PT version after Avid finishes giving me the year of updates they owe me.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 06-26-2019, 01:10 PM
gnjlee gnjlee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 190
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
....after Avid finishes giving me the year of updates they owe me.
Does that mean we will be getting something past 19.5?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19 Avid General Announcements 1 06-27-2019 12:47 PM
Mbox Gain Issues and Protools Issues (Bounce to Disk and Knob/Pot adjustments) Lucky Bastard Getting Started 6 01-16-2014 04:29 PM
Protools 8HD upgrade price? pablotec Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 20 10-08-2008 01:30 PM
Protools HD to "HD II" upgrade price speculation....? N.E.R.D Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 07-12-2007 06:13 PM
G4 price drop in July? Mike Brosco Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 28 07-10-2002 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com