Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Multiple issues getting PT to work correctly

For the past several weeks (about the time I updated to PT 12.6, but not sure) my system has been very unstable. I waste a lot of time each day rebooting my machine to get PT to load a session. I'm working on a 12 song album, so I know it's nowt specific to an individual session. The same problems happen regardless of the session I'm trying to load.

I frequently get error messages when trying to load PT. The most common message is: "Could not complete your request because while translating Memory Location list." It happens at times when it's the 1st thing I do on my PC after booting. Sometimes it happens later when I'm closing one session to open another. If I reboot, it usually loads correctly.

Sometimes I get an internal PT error that crashes PT. This is the error that wants to send info to Avid and asks what you were doing. There doesn't seem to be anything that is in common with other times the error occurs.

Sometimes, after a crash, I will reboot the machine and then when I try to load PT I get an error message that says "Unable to find a currently running copy of Pro Tools". If I reboot again it's usually OK.

Sometimes I get an error saying "Pro Tools has encountered an unrecognized component and must now exit". So again, I reboot.

Sometimes when I load a session, the transport functions do not work. Pressing the space bar or any of the transport buttons do not do anything. However I can access all the menus and other features. Again, I reboot and it's OK.

It's not uncommon for me to have to reboot 3 or 4 times in the morning to get PT to load correctly.

I've cleared my preferences a couple of times now. It seems to help for a day or two, but I still get errors again eventually.

Is PT really just this unstable?? Are other people experiencing these kinds of problems? Is there anyone at Avid that I can talk to for help? I really need to finish the project I'm on but it's really hard when you have so many errors occurring and have to reboot multiple times to get running again.

Any help would be much appreciated!

--Clint
CPU: Intel® 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5-750
Memory: 16GB
Internal Hard Drives:
250GB= Progams
500GB= Audio
500GB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2018.4
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantone Monitors
Old 11-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Multiple issues getting PT to work correctly

Look at the "Help Us Help You" link at the top of every Forum. Also have a look at this thread.

You do have an underpowered CPU in an i5, but Pro Tools shouldn't be having all the issues you are.

I would uninstall Pro Tools, do all the Avid recommendations and mine and post a Sandra Report if you're still having issues. Running LatencyMon may also show what might be causing problems.

Also, make sure you set your onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio, if you have a video card with HDMI out, disable the audio portion in Device Manager and go into BIOS and, if you see a floppy controller, disable that.

Run CCleaner's Registry Cleaner until it finds no issues. Reboot, run CCleaner again, then install Pro Tools, reboot and see if you can now work without issues. The whole process shouldn't take more than an hour and a half or two hours.

If you're still having the same issues, you will probably have to do a clean install of Windows.

Once you have Pro Tools working properly, be sure to make regular operating system backups with Macrium Reflect or similar. I make operating system backups nightly and before any upgrade/update/install/uninstall.

HTH
Source-Connect: brucehayward