Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Default More IOs for Core Audio . PLEASE

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get different opinions and ideas to get my super "Pro Tools HD rig" the way i think it should be.

Main Concern=I must get more IOs out of my PTHD rig using the Core Audio Driver when i few like using Core Audio Apps. 8 IOS are not enough!

I think that i should not be forced to get another sound card , since i have paid so much money for the Pro Tools HD cards.
I do like to use Pro Tools app , but most of the time i get sessions from people ( dance music producers ) and they are live or logic sessions.

TROUBLE- I have to reconfigure the whole session in order to get it working with a very limited number of Inputs and Outputs. I am using Analog Summing and Inserts with outboard gear.

Right now i just bought an Apogee Symphony pcie card and i had to remove one of my hd accel card in order to fit. I don't like to see one of my Accel cards inside the box..

I have seen a lot of friends selling their Pro Tools because of this "Barrier"
Nowdays we are looking for versatility . Pro tools is great for a lot of things like recording / mixing and mastering . I am not a big fan for programming music , just because i am so used to other softwares.

What you guys think? How can we get Digidesign to understand and give us all the IOS we already own when using CORE AUDIO DRIVER?

Thanks

Leo
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Re: More IOs for Core Audio . PLEASE

Why would Digi invest any effort into something that does not concern Protools platform? 3rd party software can always export audio, if mixing within that 3rd party software is not good enough.

Just the same as one might consider printing VI's to audio tracks a good idea, if not for anything else then for archiving reasons.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 PM

I don't think that Digi could possibly care less about Core Audio. For example, the Mbox 2 driver for Core Audio absolutely doesn't work and causes kernel panics and Digi has known about this for 2 years. Even though tons of users are throwing a fit, a fix still seems months off. They said they are being forced to rewrite much of the driver so I wouldn't hold out any hope for an HD rewrite any time soon. I know they have made comments in the past about the I/O limitation and while I don't remember what was said it didn't sound like it would ever change. In your situation, I seriously think your best bet is to run Logic/Live on a separate computer and sync it up to your HD rig.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Weird, the ASIO drivers have since PT8 doubled from 8 to 16 I/O..
Old 05-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Smile Re: More IOs for Core Audio . PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Why would Digi invest any effort into something that does not concern Protools platform? 3rd party software can always export audio, if mixing within that 3rd party software is not good enough.

Just the same as one might consider printing VI's to audio tracks a good idea, if not for anything else then for archiving reasons.
My point is that my hardware is capable of giving me the IOS i want only if i am using Pro Tools Software . That is not fair . I have paid for my IOS and Pro Tools software and the DSPs on it. Big Bucks. Love it all.

I want Digidesign to re-think about the Core Audio Driver, it is obsolete and a develop of a new driver is a must. Come on!. Windows already have 16!

Bring it UP Mac Boys. You can do it!

MORE IOS FOR CORE AUDIO
MORE IOS FOR CORE AUDIO..

Listen to me , This feature would make a lot of Pt owners happy.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM

I used to use DP a lot, and after switching to PT, I tried running DP under DAE. It barely worked. Needing to still open/edit/export DP sessions, I needed to find another way to still fire it up, and get i/o happening. DP also offers the option of using my 192s under Core Audio, BUT ONLY the first 8 (analog) inputs. If I could get all 16, then I could still use DP on the occasion that I need it, and have it record and play thru all of my pre-existing cabling (Digi 192 to and from my console, etc.). The same could be said for PTHD owners who also use Logic, Cubase, and any other Core Audio-based app. While not serving PT directly, this added functionality would certainly serve the user base of PTHD. Who knows, they might even sell some more interfaces.

It would be a nice gesture if Digi took the Core Audio driver a bit more seriously. In it's present state, it's over-the-top limiting at the least, and for mbox2 users, a non-stop horror show.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Avid

The Core Audio IO limitation on HD is due to the TDM architecture and is very unlikely to ever change, given the initial investigation into doing so was inconclusive as to whether it's possible and, even if it were, it would require a serious man-hour commitment. Those hours, most customers would agree, would be better spent working on Pro Tools itself.

Now, if you're using Logic or DP, you can use it in DAE/DTDM mode to have access to all your IO.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Hi ,

I think that most customers like me , would love to have you guys working on something new for Core audio. 8 channels are not enough, Any firewire card from an endless list would do it.
Why my $5000 sound card can't? Why do i have to remove one accel card to fit other card to do the Job.
I choose Pro Tools HD for a lot of good reasons in other hand i don't need to use pro tools software all the time for many other reasons.

I have seen many people selling their system , just because this exactly feature is missing.
Also why protools card is not capable to play when you hit the spacebar to play a sound? just like any other core audio sound card.

I totally understand the point of getting few engineers on the case to sort it out a new core audio driver for mac , Since version 8 just came out , I am here to ask for it on version 9 , And i am a Pro tools user since version 3.

Everyone i know would be impressed and happy.

Not all the plugins work with DAE in Logic also ESB/TDM has only 4 stereo outs.

Flexibility is everything these days. Give us more IOS PLEASE!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM

would it be nice, yes
is it high priority, no there are way bigger bugs that need squashing

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig