Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Default Import Session Data offset (bug?)

As with most of you in post, my sessions start just before 1 hour (58:00). Before Pro Tools 8, I used to be able to import OMF tracks and spot them wherever I wanted using Track Offset Options in the Import Session Data dialog.

If I import an OMF with no change to this offset (which in my case will be 00:58:00:00 by default), the regions are placed on the timeline as intended.

But I frequently have multiple spots in the timeline, so a time-saving trick to place them later in the timeline when Importing them was to subtract 2 mins from where you wanted it. For example: To spot the OMF to 01:03:00:00, I would enter 01:01:00:00. (It's overly complicated... but had to do with 58:00 being 2 minutes less than 1 hour).

If you used it this way, then you know what I'm talking about. Since PT8 I cannot get the Track Offset and TC Mapping Options to work for me in any combination.

As a workaround, if I set my session start time to 00:00:00:00, and enter 2 minutes as the offset for example, the OMF will spot to 01:02:00:00, adding an hour for some reason. Since this is a workable solution, I think I'll try changing my session start times to zero from now on.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Import Session Data offset (bug?)

Sorry for the bump - just discovered this bug myself. Thought I'd at least let you know you're not alone. And glad to see it's not just me being stupid.

And it's not just with time code that starts before 0hrs. Both my FCP timelines and PT sessions are set to start at 1:0:0:0...

Adding 1hr to time code. Sheesh! you'd think these things would be tested

"The disgusting stink of a too loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time." - Frank Zappa
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCash View Post
As with most of you in post, my sessions start just before 1 hour (58:00). Before Pro Tools 8, I used to be able to import OMF tracks and spot them wherever I wanted using Track Offset Options in the Import Session Data dialog.

If I import an OMF with no change to this offset (which in my case will be 00:58:00:00 by default), the regions are placed on the timeline as intended.

But I frequently have multiple spots in the timeline, so a time-saving trick to place them later in the timeline when Importing them was to subtract 2 mins from where you wanted it. For example: To spot the OMF to 01:03:00:00, I would enter 01:01:00:00. (It's overly complicated... but had to do with 58:00 being 2 minutes less than 1 hour).

If you used it this way, then you know what I'm talking about. Since PT8 I cannot get the Track Offset and TC Mapping Options to work for me in any combination.

As a workaround, if I set my session start time to 00:00:00:00, and enter 2 minutes as the offset for example, the OMF will spot to 01:02:00:00, adding an hour for some reason. Since this is a workable solution, I think I'll try changing my session start times to zero from now on.
What version of PT are you talking about? 8? Wasn´t really clear.

Frank.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM

It's been that way since 8. Based on the lack of response, apparently very few of used this feature.?

I didn't end up changing my session start times to 00:00:00:00 like I mentioned in my original post. Instead my solution is to just drop a marker where I need to ultimately place the new audio's 2-pop, import the new tracks, then cut and paste them to the marker location. With everyone working at different frame rates now (29/23/24) I'd likely have to do it this way anyway.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM

We've always found it most reliable to place a marker then cut & paste given that many of the OMFs we get these days start at completely random timecodes, and figuring out what offset to use to make it properly align ends up taking more time than doing it manually.

-- Ryan Dorp
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM

In PT10 the "map to TC" feature works fine. I´m using it daily.