Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Post Need Help On Evening Out the sound to a Finalized Song???

Ok ive figured out how to edit finally, and do sends, and add auxes but now i need to know how to master the song by making it sound like a professional edit.. when i finished editing it doesnt sound evened out at all.. also im very new to this. i record my rap songs alot . i want to put them out for people to hear me but i never can get the song to sound at least decent . i know how to put certain affects to my vocals. i just dont know how to even the volume throughout all tracks. the song just sounds like a bunch of vocal effects ..Any Help would be Nice Thank YOu B4 hand
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Need Help On Evening Out the sound to a Finalized Song???

sorry, this is the first thing that came to mind.

seriously, i think it's bigger than a forum thread... along with a good ear or two, you need the right tools and some training on how to use them.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost3r View Post
Ok ive figured out how to edit finally, and do sends, and add auxes but now i need to know how to master the song by making it sound like a professional edit.. when i finished editing it doesnt sound evened out at all.. also im very new to this. i record my rap songs alot . i want to put them out for people to hear me but i never can get the song to sound at least decent . i know how to put certain affects to my vocals. i just dont know how to even the volume throughout all tracks. the song just sounds like a bunch of vocal effects ..Any Help would be Nice Thank YOu B4 hand
Well first, you need to know the basics of recording. Mic placements, how to: clean your tracks, properly EQ (ie cutting to get the frequencies you want instead of boosting, which will infuse your sound with unneeded artifacts from frequencies.), use compressors, stereo imaging, and a whole lot of things. There was a nice little book called Practical Recording Techniques second edition by Bruce and Jenny bartlett. If you can get a copy, you will get a good base there about a few things I talked about.

After the basics, you need a good room. You can have the best mic placing ever, but if your room gives you awful nulls and lumps and completely screws the frequencies response, you will never be able to get a good mix. There are a few programs out there you can buy that have a pressure mics to take the appropriate measurements of your room, and it will give you a very good idea of what treatments your room needs to be able to give you a flat frequency response. Secondary, Tertiary rebounds from reverbs are also very important to deal with as they can screw up your stereo imaging.

Then comes the gear, great mics, great near fields or mid fields. Great preamps, will really give your sound an edge.

Of course, experience also comes in to play. If you can afford it, get someone to do the mix for you and study what he does. Even better if you can get him to train you.

We all start somewhere, but if you don't give yourself the right tools right away, your learning experience will be very hard.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 AM

ok could u explain to me what ie is??
Any other suggested Eqiupment to get me started?
And this is what i have as of now...
a M-audio fast track for pro tools 8 m-powered
windows vista home premium
c3 behringer microphone
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost3r View Post
ok could u explain to me what ie is??
Any other suggested Eqiupment to get me started?
And this is what i have as of now...
a M-audio fast track for pro tools 8 m-powered
windows vista home premium
c3 behringer microphone
Ie means in example.

Fast track pro is a start.

You'd need a good pair of monitors to do your mix near-field or mid-fields. The problem is there isn't a clear winner out there, it's a personal choice and you should always listen to them before buying some. You should, if you can, also have a test with them in a controlled environment to be sure that they give you the best frequency return possible. The flattest the better when you mix. I wish I could give you a clear winner, but there isn't.

Personally I'd tell you to dump vista, go back to Xp or move on to Win 7. You will get better result that way. Vista is a ram gobber.

I'd also expand on your microphones. Get a sm 57 or a sm 58 for snares and guitar mics if you ever do tracking. They can also be used on voices as a voice might sound better on a certain mic, while an other voice may sound better on an other. Also ribbons microphones, condenser which you already have one, and dynamics. They all have properties of their own and different sound.

Mic pre amps can really give you a professional mic sound. They can give you warmth, or crispiness depending on which one you get. avalon aD2022, Focusrite ISA828, ATI 8MX2, Focusrite Liquid Channel, are all good mic preamps. Some are better on drums, other on voices or instruments. You have to listen to them and see what you like. Of course a multi channel pre amp might not be the best for your setup depending on how many inputs you are using.

There is one for sure. Monitors, microphones, mic preamps and your room treatment will be what will cost you the most hands down, if you are really serious about it. But in the end, they are what will really give you the biggest quality for the price assuredly. These are the back bones of recording. You can have the best effect plug ins out there, the best mixer. But if your initial sound is bad because you didn't have good sound from the start, you will stil end up with a bad sound.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM

ok im definetly finding out alot about this.
I make to many songs to be editing each and every one.
so now my plan is to get someone who can edit them for me.
If theres anyone out there whos experienced with pro tool 8 m-powered.
write me back so we can possibly talk something outt.
Concerning the price and everything else. thank u
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Default I need an experienced pro tools 8 m-powered editor

if u wanna talk business write me back
i write to music just about every day..im rapper and im always recording something new. I was goin to figure out how to edit my tracks but its just turning out to be way too much for me. If theres anyone out there willin to edit them for me and save me the struggle, ht me up and we can began on concerning the price. If u would like to here one of my songs or even a few let me know. becuz i wouldnt want you to think your waisting your time with me. & u wont be so yea reply and i will talk to u then thank u b4 hand
Old 01-15-2011, 03:29 AM

Hey there sorry about not responding to this earlier I have been around but not around .

When you mean edit you mean mix?

Editing is a different thing but yeah, we can always work something out. Although I'm in Canada, so we'd have to figure out a way to work. I have a server though so I could probably set you with a FTP account, so you could upload your stuff there and download the mixes once they are done.

I'm working on 7.4 cs2, but it shouldn't be a problem.

[email protected] if you want to discuss a bit more.